tenfourfox 17.0.10 vs 31.0

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gooser, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gooser macrumors 6502a

running 10.4.11 on an old g4 imac and am currently using the older version of tenfourfox. keep getting notices asking me to upgrade. should i do it? thanks.

2. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

YES

People need to use the most updated browsers if for nothing else than security issues. That means current TenFourFox or Leopard Webkit builds or (if you run 9.2.2) the current Classilla.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

As MysticCow stated above, you really should update and stay updated to with the latest browser.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

From a security perspective both MysticCow and Intell are correct.

However, depending on just how much you personalize things you may want to ponder upgrading before you leap.

Version 25 introduced Australis. That changed the UI in T4Fx. My version of T4Fx is highly customized and it took a serious effort to get 25 and above looking like how I had it in 24 and below. However, most addons should be updated by this point.

In any case, I made the transition, rough as it was. Things are not exactly the same as they were pre-25, but it's comparable enough that I'm ok with it.

Just putting that out there, because you will definitely see the UI change when you update.

5. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Yes

you should always run the latest browser you can run.

And, install ablock and ghostery. Its amazing how many companies track you all around the web. You might not mind. But I do.

And, since you are running 10.4.11 you can install the newest Classilla in Classic. This, after tenfourfox, is now probably the second most secure browser for Tiger, which is pretty sad. I just installed it on a Tangerine iBook and many sites which were horribly broken now work again. Yeah for Dr Kaiser.

Note that Classilla presents itself as a mobile phone (nokia) and so defaults to a mobile browser interface, which is fine for a lot of routine browsing, like macrumors.com for instance.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm using Bluehell Firewall and NoScript. NoScript has a no-tracking feature. Both AdBlock Plus and Ghostery have serious memory leaks.

I'm also using RequestPolicy and RefControl. RefControl is great because it effectively kills all tracking, presenting your browser to a site as if it just magically appeared at the root of the site and not coming from the site you just left. Request Policy can stop tracking/analytics sites from the get go.

I also use NO Google Analytics (which kills Google Analytics anywhere it's found, period).

One thing I do like about ABP though is the ABP Element killer. It lets you selectively remove parts of a website you don't wish to see.

However, if you really MUST use ABP I would suggest Ad Block Edge (ABE) instead. It still has a memory leak, but it's not as severe and you can still use it with the ABP Element killer and any ABP lists. You also don't have to opt out from ABP's phoning your info back home, because ABE doesn't do that at all.
    You can use Default User Agent or any other UA changer addon to force T4Fx to use a mobile UA (of your choice). That way T4Fx only opens mobile sites. Just an alternative.

Also, if you don't want to use a UA changer addon at all, just change the UA string in about:config for T4FX to a mobile one if you just want to browse mobile sites.

7. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Question regarding browsers: I noticed that I can no longer comment on YouTube videos with Leopard Webkit. Has this gone unnoticed? I have the latest version... Odd though, as I can comment fine with Omniweb, while Omniweb hasn't been updated since 2012. IDK what happened.

(keep in mind that I was originally able to comment just fine with it)

9. Cox Orange, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

As a way in between, you could at least update from 17 to 24.7.0 for a while.

(Not that it is the only thing that bothers and would bring customization challenges, but I still wait, that someone makes a well working "tabs on bottom" for 31, because the current is very crappy.)

Lately I was running Safari and a webpage answered "sorry, this saite can't be displayed on smartphones, but you can still access it on a desktop..." (I know there was a way to let Safari report itself as a smartphone to get not so bloated websites for PPCs, but I didn't activate that feature, so interesting that that site still thought I was on a smartphone).

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's Australis.

You might try Classic Theme Restorer. That essentially neutralizes Australis and returns T4FX (Firefox) to the pre-31 GUI.

I use it in order to get rid of all that new crap going on in the window title bar (Australis).

11. Cox Orange, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Hehe, yeah, I know, we talked about it a while ago and you pointed me at some solutions. I had tryed classic restorer before, but it was a bit unpolished. For example eventually disappearing red, yellow, green buttons in the left corner.
    You have pushed the customization to a perfection somewhere. I will try several things once I have the leisure to do it. For now I am happy with a quick solution, that is for me (since only using classic restorer doesn't fit for me) using 24.7.0 still for a while. :)

On the other hand as a future perspective/solution I am thinking about changing to 10.5.8 or run it dual boot and use a 10.5 specific browser (if 10.5 specific browsers bring any advantages), but for that I will have to first make up my mind untill I get to it.