Tenfourfox 8/Quicktime Enabler

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Imixmuan, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Imixmuan, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Cameron Kaiser and Co have just released the RC of Tenfourfox 8, and also the new version of his Quicktime Enabler. Basically it hands off web video to Quicktime 7 which of course works much better on older PPC macs than the fluorescent bowel movement that is flash. As usual Herr Kaiser has a whole write up explaining how they work at the tenfourfox development blog, where both can be downloaded.

I've tried both and my impressions: Tenfourfox 8 is fast. Noticeably faster than seven. Even flash performance seems to be improved, though I usually use flashblock, I tried a flash file out. Once.

The enabler: Much improved, works with youtube now, doesn't work with vimeo for reasons that Kaiser explains. On a youtube page, control or right click on the page (NOT THE FLASH PLAYER WINDOW) and a drop down menu appears, select different quality streams at the bottom of the menu. Kaiser says 720p will work on fast G4's and 1080p works on G5's, zen.state or others with dual G4's or G5's, please report.

On my ibook G4 720p choked, the SD stream (480p) played flawlessly. I could download the 720p file in quicktime but it still choked, but would play in CorePlayer no problem, as you'd expect.

Have not tried out other streaming video sites but Kaiser says more will work. Once again, Cameron Kaiser has proved for all time that he is THE MAN.

2. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

On my Beige G3, 8.0 RC feels faster even compared to 8.0b1. It's *DEFINITELY* faster than 7 in many ways, and I'm very happy with it so far!

I can't get the QTE to work, though. I tried dragging it onto TFF but nothing happens >_>

3. Imixmuan, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

Imixmuan thread starter macrumors 6502

did you

open the add-ons manager (under tools) and see if its in the extensions list? If it's there, go to youtube and control click on the page. A drop down menu should be there. Don't control click on the player window, that only brings up the flash player settings. I don't think it's disabled on the G3 build, but Kaiser has said in the past that anything less than a 1 ghz G4 and likely video in tenfourfox will stutter. Badly.

On a G3 you might be best off using Sea Monkey or Camino and flash (understanding its a security hole) and setting the player to 240p. Or use downloadhelper extension and download the flv or mp4 file and play in quicktime, vlc, mplayer etc. I had a 600mhz ibook G3 and that method worked quite well, but that was a year or two back now.

Correction: failed to read your sig and see you had a 1ghz G4. If it installed I bet it'll work fine. I'd be interested to know if it works on your G5 with 1080p.

4. W123 macrumors newbie

Type "about:config" in the address bar. Set "tenfourfox.plugins.enabled" to true.

All normal firefox plugins work correctly, including flash and quicktime.
    Note that it will have to be changed back to true every time the application is closed.

5. stroked Suspended

stroked

This isn't true with any of my G4s. Even after a reboot, plugins is still set at true.