Resolved TenFourFox as Default Browser in Tiger

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bse5150, Feb 20, 2015.

1. bse5150, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out but I'm stumped. How can I configure Tiger to use TenFourFox as its default browser?

I want Tiger to launch TenFourFox when I click on a URL in an application. It used to launch Safari but I deleted Safari. Now it launches VLC which does me no good. How can I configure the system to launch TenFourFox?

FOUND THE ANSWER WITH GOOGLE!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Apple wants you to use Safari and nothing else, so they hide this on you - in plain sight I might add.

Setting the default is in Safari Preferences. Right there at the top. You'll need to install Safari again to set it.

Attached Files:

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Now in Yosemite it is System Preferences surprisingly!

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, there's a bunch of crap in there now that doesn't belong there! :mad:

Just try getting rid of a Firefox extension without knowing that some of them reside in System Preferences now!

That drove me nutty at one point until I figured it out. Apple is really a PITA some times.

5. bse5150 thread starter macrumors 6502

bse5150

Looks like I found the answer at the same time you posted the info I was looking for. Thanks.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

What do you mean?
    And what does PITA mean? It just means a flat bread as far as i know.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Well, yes, that would be the number two definition here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pita

(I think all caps usually means it's an ancronym, and not a type of bread :rolleyes: )

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

ohh pain in the ass right right i get it now
    but I would think it would be pain in the head or brain... not in the ass. ass has nothing to do with it :p

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

System Preferences > General. Much better place for it. Good thinking, Apple.

10. jbarley, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Why not just set Tenfoufox as the default browser from within its own preferences, and to hell with Safari?
    Or maybe this preference does not show in Tiger.

Attached Files:

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You could do that. I just suggested it using Safari because it's much "easier" to find then trying to find where this option is in each separate browser.

I've switched the default browser multiple times in one go when trying to make things work on my Macs and crawling around inside each one's preferences to set this can get frustrating.

But yes, your way works just as well.

12. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I have exactly Two broswers on my Mac, TenFourFox and the PPC Port of Seamonkey (which I have yet to even use). I have gained so accustomed to TFF that on my Linux Laptop I still use Firefox (The fact the screen dies and the computer crashes trying to use Google Chrome is beside the point). Firefox has always offered me what I want in a browser. I have used Firefox since Version 1. I stopped using it in Version 2 in favor for other browsers and came back to Firefox with Version 10 when I installed in on my Macs. I would use Chrome if they ever made a PowerPC version.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If it were not for the fact that Opera stopped development of the browser around 10.62 or so I'd still be on Opera.

If I didn't use Facebook, I'd probably still be on Opera. I much prefer Opera's (or at least Opera 10's) interface over anything else. Portions of my workflow in T4Fx are highly reminiscent of Opera (CMD+Space to go Home for instance).

But I had to abandon Opera because there is no way to modify the User Agent to any reasonably current browser string. That breaks a lot of the functionality on Facebook.

I might still be on Flock too, the browser I took to once Opera stopped meeting my needs. But Flock died and now it's very, very old Mozilla code coupled together with browser features that no longer work because the APIs for them died too.

T4Fx offers me the closest I can get to Opera 10 with modern features and addons. As much as I really loved that browser I just had to move on.

14. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I used Opera before in the past. Although, I never used it on MY Macs i did install it on the eMacs in HS just for the hell of it. I have used Opera in Windows before I even used it over firefox (hence why i stopped using Firefox in version 2 and used it occasionally during versions 3 and 4) I at one point liked Flock too. Main reason I use TFF is it is cross-platform. I can take my profile and transfer it to my Linux and Windows Machines, cannot do that with Leopard WebKit (which I find no better nor faster than plain old Safari before the install of WebKit).