tenfourfox or other browsers

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, Nov 3, 2014.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Hi. I just got my tangerine imac G3 going in tiger and when looking at a decent broswer for it. Safari barely will handle even apple.com. so i tried getting tenfourfox but there is only downloads on macupdate for G5 and G4 systems. any ideas?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

http://tenfourfox.com

Scroll to the bottom, there will be a G3 download link. :D

3. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

i dont know why i couldnt find this on Google... is there anything that can do flash on a G3?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. Flash poses issues for even G5s and is horribly insecure on PowerPC Macs now due to being outdated. In fact, TenFourFox does not even support plugins anymore.

5. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Alright. what was the last firefox that can run on 10.4.11?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Use Tenfourfox. It's the same as Firefox, but newer and more secure.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!!!

Really? Ok. The last version of Firefox that was PowerPC compatible was 3.6.28.

About 28 versions out of date.

Honestly, if you want Flash, go back to T4FX version 17 or below. Those versions still had plugins enabled and they are at least 14 versions more up to date then Firefox 3.6.28. FWIW, I run TenFourFox 17 Intel on my Mac Pro here at work. It's 14 versions out of date, but it lets me run T4Fx on an Intel Mac (yes, there was an Intel port of T4Fx).

T4Fx maintains the older (older) versions on their Google code page. I'd just Google TenFourFox and Google code and you should find the page.

8. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

If you're going to try to run Flash on a G3, you're insane. I've seen modern Macs choke on Flash crap, and imho it's because it was NEVER designed right for a Mac.

Seriously, the less Flash you use on any OS, the better your life will be.

9. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

The best way...

...to watch youtube on most macs is mactubes. But...you really need to have a G4 above 800mhz IMHO. Your best bet I would say is to download the lower quality .flv or 3GP files and then play them back in Quicktime (or Niceplayer) or VLC or Mplayer. Try mobile sites (like mobile youtube) and downloading the files with the Download Helper or Youtube downloader extensions in tenfourfox.

Playback inside a browser (even if you could do it, plugins are disabled in tenfourfox now, and the built in Quicktime Enabler only goes as low as 360 mp4) is just beyond a G3 in 2014.

10. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Best PowerPC browser for running Flash is easily Camino 2.1 in my book. As others have said, anything under a really nice G4 won't run it very well at all. I haven't got decent flash performance out of a G3 since 2004, so it may "work" but don't expect much.

11. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

12. roadbloc, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

TenFourFox is most likely the best browser.

EDIT: If you need YouTube, install YouView and install the FF plugin from the menus (works just fine in TFF).

13. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

I'm not expecting it to run YouTube. It's more for a music site called groovesshark.com. Two years ago I fixed a snow imac for a friend. It was a 600mhz snow with a gig of ram. Since my imac was still running jaguar I decided to install Firefox and found it did groove shark perfect while mine in 10.2 barely loaded the par let alone flash. It did YouTube ok in 144p only. Still it did fine. To my surprise. But a 200mhz from my machine to his is a difference

14. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

If you want to use Grooveshark then my vote changes from Camino to TenFourFox. The former is snappier, which is why I normally prefer it, but the later has a lot more compatibility with fancy online stuff.

I tried it now and couldn't even get the Grooveshark homepage to open properly in Camino while it worked nicely in TenFourFox.