TenFourFox question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Feb 25, 2015.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I'm trying real hard to like TFF, but the one thing I demand from any web browser, and does not seem to work in TFF is an auto refesh when using the browser back function.
    When I click on a forum topic and then read it, I need the topic to show as read when I go back to the index.

Is there a setting somewhere, maybe "about:config" that controls this function?

2. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

When I read threads on here I just simply click on the PowerPC Macs link at the top. It reloads the page with new/updated threads as well as mark ones that have been viewed as read

3. jbarley, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Unacceptable,
    I currently use a swipe gesture to go back, so using your system I'd have scroll all the way to the top of the page to click.
    So far Safari still wins.
    Edit: just noticed that 'PowerPC Macs' link is also on the bottom of the web page, so it's getting a bit more workable.

4. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

It's also at the bottom too

5. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Yes, just like I mentioned in my previous post.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It's because when you hit the back button you're accessing a cached copy of the page. The only way I am aware you can stop this is by disabling caches with the about:config setting network.http.use-cache turned to false. This will cause the page to fully load every time you hit the back button.

However, I recommend you do as already suggested and simply use the forum link.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Just use Safari then.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Safari doesn't give you a cached copy when you hit the back button? I'm pretty sure all browsers do that now.

Another solution would be to simply reload using Command-R after going back.

Safari on PowerPC is getting increasingly outdated. However, Leopard Webkit (which is based on Safari) would still be an ok option.

9. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Reset your disk cache to 0. It's under Preferences, then Advanced, and then Network. Click to manually adjust your cache and reduce it to 0. That should give you exactly what you want.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Either reduce the cache to 0, continue to use Safari/Leopard WebKit, or create a separate Fluid app like I did for MacRumors.

11. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

I could be interested in that maybe, but these questions and answers from the Fluid website would indicate otherwise.
    ---------------------------------
    Is Fluid available for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or earlier? No. Fluid runs on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or later only.

Is Fluid available for PowerPC Macs? No. Fluid runs on Intel Macs only.

Is Fluid available for Macs with 32-bit processors? No. Fluid runs 64-bit only.
    ----------------------------------

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

When I browse forums using T4Fx I generally load threads in a separate tab. It's easier for me to just close the current tab and I'm right back at the topic list. It's easy to CMD+Click.

About Fluid…

You may not know, but version 0.96 was the last PowerPC version. Back when Fluid was in beta. Lots of folks here have since made Fluid apps using 0.96.

Here you go if you want it.

13. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

I did not know so thanks for the heads-up and the link.
    Gives me something to tinker with...:)

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No problem!

BTW, Fluid works great with Pandora, Google Music and any other one off website you can think of for quick access. Fluid also lets you hide the toolbars and you can use userscript and CSS with it. You can even adjust it's transparency if you want.

It's also got some other options that can put it either in the menu bar or on the desktop.

I made an app for Google Music and applied some CSS styles that make it look simply like a window and nothing like a browser. Fluid is pretty flexible. :D

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you update the system to use Leopard WebKit frameworks, I believe Fluid apps are updated as well as I do not think it calls a separate WebKit framework.