Tenfourfox

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 76ShovelHead, Sep 21, 2014.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

My iBook doesn't much care for tenfourfox. Sure it loads the pages up as it should, but is terribly slow and resource consuming (so it feels anyway) and smooth scrolling doesn't seem to exist. I'm on a 1.42 Ghz very last of the iBooks.

Leopard webkit is a little better, but still choppy...

Camino has been discontinued, but it is the only browser that doesn't lag and makes me feel like I'm on a new Intel machine. What a shame. If only Tenfourfox devs could grab the sourcecode and build off of that. From what I understand, both are firefox.

But I digress, does anybody else experience this choppiness in Tenfourfox?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Nope! Does the UI like dock animations lag too?

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've found Tenfourfox to be resource intensive on pretty much everything I've used it on. It will run the processor(or both processors) up to close to 100%. Scrolling is also a bit "choppy" even on my single 1.8 G5(although it is fine on my 2.0 Dual Core)

I still like it, but have mostly switched over to Webkit for this reason.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

TenFourFox should run good on that Mac, but it uses a lot more RAM than Camino or even Safari will. Make sure you've got the full 1.5GB of RAM in there. If you're trying to run on a 1GB of less, it is gonna be a poor experience.

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Usually I run TFF on everything, but on my B&W G4 and DA they stick with Safari.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Camino is where TenFourFox started. Camino's latest build was from an ancient version of the Firefox source, though. So TenFourFox brought it up to the current Firefox code line. Which, semi-obviously, is a lot bigger and more bloated than the version Camino was based on.

Yes, Camino is faster, because it doesn't implement many of the features of newer versions of HTML/CSS that many modern websites insist on using. Plus it does not have the latest security updates.

7. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Man, I have been waiting for someone else to make this point! I miss Camino so much. I am starting to not be able to use it as effectively since it's becoming outdated. The devs stopped its project for really stupid reasons. I tried TenFourFox and found it to be SO resource-consuming. It even shows some signs of lag on my PowerMac G5. It's ironic how, on their homepage, they show an old iBook running it... as if it can. TenFourFox maxes the CPU out on my 800Mhz iBook G4. It uses more RAM than Safari. If they are trying to make a browser that works well for PowerPC Macs, they are missing the point that almost all the PowerPC Macs out there can barely run it. I don't understand how they cannot do what Camino devs did and have a very light browser. I have sadly moved on from Camino on machines fast enough to run Safari Webkit (for Leopard), but I still use Camino on older machines that cannot handle anything else as well. Both the Camino and TFF teams need wake-up calls. The Camino team said that their browser was falling behind to other ones in this modern day world... Yeah, as if anyone with an Intel computer is gonna use their browser. Didn't they realize that their browser was being used by mainly PowerPC users? That's the whole point! As for TFF, they need to understand that nobody with a modern computer is gonna be running their browser either. I don't understand why they can't cut back on the browser and make it more efficient. They offer downloads compiled for G3 models... as if a G3 Apple computer can't practically freeze with TFF. I am definitely on the same page as you with this one. I wish I could use TFF nicely, but I sadly cannot.

8. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

For what it's worth, I use TFF 24.7.0 on my G4 DA 466. It runs fine without much issue. Javascript is disabled and I can get through the majority of pages I view with it.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

TFF is never going to be a super-fast, well-polished browser, and really it isn't supposed to be either. I always saw it as a means to give PowerPC Macs the features and security of modern browsers, with speed as an afterthought. It's a shame we can't have our cake and eat it to, but with the massive amount of workarounds and back-ported code necessary to make the browser secure and compatible with todays web standards, a trade-off had to be made somewhere.

For what it's worth, I really can't complain about the browsers' performance on my eMac; it chokes a bit with multiple windows each with multiple tabs, but that's to be expected. My PowerBook G4 has a bit more trouble with it, but it's still usable with four or five tabs going, if not a bit laggy.

10. weckart macrumors 68040

I use TFF on my Pismo with only 512MB RAM. It works on Tiger (though not 10.4.0 oddly enough) where Safari just cannot render modern webpages properly. Yes, it is not superfast but it works. I can even browse with it on my Clamshell.

The point has already been made earlier on in this thread that TFF is slower and more resource hungry because it CAN render modern, bloated webpages and still provide a decent level of security doing so. If you want a leaner, faster browser you will probably have to compromise on the range of browsing you will be able to do.

You can get an Intel Mac quite cheaply these days.

11. stewart1981 macrumors member

My G5 1.6 ghz powermac works reasonably well with TFF. The main use is Youtube for my wife's singing teaching or my piano students researching new pieces. With the HTML5 player it works well enough, not at the speed of her Core2duo macbook 4,1 but it buffers briskly and plays well. For lyric finding it is also perfectly acceptable.

I have been monitoring the CPU use and it does tend to make use of 50-60% of the single core (my main machines are a dual core i3 3ghz dell and an i5 quad core 2.7ghz toshiba with win 7 so I am spoilt in some ways) but it is running modern code on what was recognised as a limited machine over a decade ago. Webkit just doesn't play well in this machine sadly. The only time the CPU has it tough is when several tabs, Word, Mail and itunes are all on the go but that is just bad housekeeping.

Sadly I've never been able to test TFF on a multi core G5 as my two previous ones respectively fried the logic board (dual processor 2 ghz) and LCS leaked everywhere (think a 2.5ghz but unsure, was an old spare from a college) before I found it. However if I want speed I use the PC, for comfort though the G5 is fine.

12. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Why do people use these browsers on their PPCs when they can just use firefox 3.6 or camino? Don't they still work fine?

13. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

They're insecure and will only get worse.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In addition to insecurity, more and more sites will not work properly when using those outdated browsers.

15. stewart1981 macrumors member

Because they don't work that well anymore on the modern web. Simple pages yes but anything more advanced you may as well forget.

I did used to like Camino on my now dead macbook though.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Uhm…try using Facebook with it's full set of features in Firefox 3.6.

How about Google? Twitter? Maybe some heavy javascript sites. No?

Keep getting told that your browser is out of date? Features and functions keep breaking?

Yeah?

Maybe that's because Firefox 3.6 is about 28 versions out of date.

17. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

1. Because they suck now.

2. Because more and more sites are requiring higher versions of browsers.

3. Because they suck now.

4. Because over time, more and more vulnerabilities are revealed with older browsers, making their use rather risky.

5. Because they suck now.

6. Because TenFourFox is actually optimized the best they can for PowerPC chips.

7. Because they suck now.

18. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I looked around in the settings to find where to disable Javascript, but I did not see anything. How did you do so? And does it speed things up quite a bit?

----------

Ugh, what is their need to update web standards/browsers every 5 minutes and each time make them slower and more bloated? What a key to computer obsoleteness... Things like this cause people to want faster/newer computers more often. I wish the web standards would be left the h3ll alone, with the exception of ridding the web of Flash. On a side note, I bet once Flash is finally gone, Adobe will come out with a new product with a different name, which then will become adopted yet again by everyone and their brother.

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You may want to try NoScript. NoScript automatically blocks JS from any sites you visit until you tell it specifically to allow JS on that site. You don't need to turn off JS globally either. NoScript also detects JS from third party sites (like analytics sites) so you can block those too.

Combine with RequestPolicy which blocks images and other third party site loads you can pretty much block out anything on the web except what you allow.

20. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

LOL!!!:cool:

21. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

What I use on my pb 667 Ti (768 ram,tiger) also found tenfour just to slow

Safari 4.1.3 (uninstall flash-find app at adobe....uncheck java and java script) then runs most web pages fairly fast

Opera 10.63 (uncheck java script) find it runs very fast and almost never have issues with page renders

22. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

Type about:config into the address bar. Follow the warning, then when TFF opens all of the settings, type in JavaScript in the search box.

I forget which setting it is, but change the setting to False. Exit and enjoy.

I use 24.7.0 because version 31 is grotesquely slow on my Dual 2.0 G5. 24.7.0 works well on that G5, an MDD Dual 1.25, and the DA 466.

23. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Yeah i hate this rapid release, it's completely screwing up the versions!!!
    Firefoxes 4-28 all should be just 4 and firefix 29-present should be firefox 5

Look at the differences between 1, 2, 3, and 4. Now look at the differences bettween 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32.

Who person came up with this idea?! ¬_¬

24. n0cus macrumors 6502

I believe it had something to do with copying Chrome's release cycle. Why they decided to copy it, I don't know.

25. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

OK. I'm home and can look at TFF to determine the option to select.

The option says

javascript.enabled

Double click the value which should say "True". When you double click it, it will then say "False". Close the window and you're all set.