Tennessee State University Teams Up With Apple to Bolster Diversity in Coding

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Tennessee State University last week launched the HBCU C2 Presidential Academy, a new initiative that's designed to expose students of color to coding and app development, reports The Tennessean.

The HBCU C2 Presidential Academy invited students from 14 historically black colleges and universities to learn from Apple. The program is designed to make sure that TSU and other HBCUs remain at the forefront of technology.

[​IMG]
    Apple CEO Tim Cook this morning tweeted about the initiative, where students learned Swift using Apple's coding curriculum and were asked to think of applications that can better the community. Apple provided equipment, scholarships, and professional development services to TSU students as part of the effort.

Lisa Jackson, Apple's VP of environment, policy, and social initiatives, said that Apple is thrilled to be working with TSU and other HBCUs to expand coding opportunities to underrepresented groups.

"Students of all backgrounds should have the opportunity to learn to code," said Jackson. "We are proud to be part of a sustainable community network that is increasing access to teaching and learning."

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tennessee State University Teams Up With Apple to Bolster Diversity in Coding

2. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

This tells me more about the university system (=does not expose students to coding, in 2019!) than Apple.

4. cardfan macrumors 68000

Apple didn’t seem too concerned about bolstering diversity when they raised prices.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I know of many programs that encourage women or girls and minority members to learn coding. Are these programs being studied to measure their level of success?

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Good question. I'd say - and I am speculating here - that the problem in such measurement is that these types of programs are usually oriented towards people that are already showing some interest - or even basic knowledge - to the subject.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They could still help interested members of the target audience get the experience they might not otherwise have.

I suppose success could be measured on either the "sending" or "receiving" side. On the sending side you'd measure the before and after percentage of community members who participate in that specific program or who go on to use those skills in college or a job. On the receiving side you'd measure the before and after percentage of women or minorities in college computer science programs or in computer-related jobs. But that would mix the results of all such programs.

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

There is nothing inherently wrong with encouraging under-represented minorities to embrace and learn pursuits that could bring them future success. One historic example is the Barbie history of "I'm a girl and math is hard!" The old talking Barbie dolls actually said idiotic phrases like "Math is hard!" In the 1960s and 70s, girls were never encouraged to pursue STEM (science, technology, math, etc).

Today, school-age girls are more encouraged to pursue math, engineering, the sciences etc ….. and alas, more and more female doctors can be seen in the hospitals that I've worked in.

I don't know why so many above MR readers are so negative (other than the typical troll army of Apple-haters). What Apple is doing here is a good thing for the future of America. In the grand scheme of things, Apple sponsoring these kinds of programs costs Apple very little.

9. cardfan macrumors 68000

There's definitely an increase in encouraging girls to pursue STEM. My daughter for instance got to go with all the girls in her school to hear successful women give speeches and what not. Girl power was the motto.

Funny part is she came home disgusted. Why? The boys got to stay at school, watch movies, eat pizza, and play games. Plus she views all this "encouragement" as patronizing. She's already highly motivated and a Duke Tip scholar in 7th grade.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Yeah my understanding is that these programs don't really work as advertised. I also admit not having researched the matter adequately.

11. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

What are you suggesting? And please be specific in your reply.

12. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Having been in the development world for over 20 years I’ve learned a bit. Anyone can code, period. It’s not very hard. However, only a small portion of people in this world can code well and handle complex abstract problems. I think exposing the world of logic, algorithms, and coding to a wide audience is great and very welcome. The issue is expecting all of those people to make it through to a successful career.

In the coding universe, it’s reasonably egalitarian and a meritocracy. People know if you can do it or not. Still, it would be great to have people exposed to IT related functions go into marketing or finance or sales. It would make it much easier to translate between those groups and maybe help keep unrealistic expectations in check.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Oh yes, white people not understanding historical disenfranchisement.

14. redneckitengineer macrumors 6502

redneckitengineer

Being a Nashville resident, I can comment.. Avoid TSU.

15. harriska2 macrumors 65816

harriska2

Back in the 1960s IBM saw the future and determined there wasn’t enough people that were capable enough to receive training in computers to help them expand and develop the company. They created Scientific Research Associates (SRA) to created highly effective curriculum to teach foundational skills in Reading, Writing, Math, Spelling, and even Reasoning in early grades. Today that curriculum is owned by hedge fund managers. So yes, there is a precedence.

16. Crowbot, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019

Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Sometimes I get a little tired of this apparent overemphasis on coding. I'd also like to see some exposure to the physical world of technology. (You can make and program a robot to change a lightbulb but it's easier to just change it yourself) When I was in tech school for medical engineering they were heavy on electronics but not the rest of the engineering (hydraulics, pneumatics, optics) that techs in hospitals have to deal with every day. Fortunately my father was an engineer so I learned the basics early. Bring back shop, for all genders!

17. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

It seems more like you don't understand the rationale behind these types of initiatives. Explained below.

Honestly, this sounds more like your view than the view of a 7th grader. Apologies if I am wrong. My kid is an upcoming 9th grader at GSMST. She definitely benefited from the emphasis placed on providing STEM exposure to women and minorities (she checks both boxes). She's also self motivated. She would have been successful no matter the pursuit, but there's no denying the positive influence of these types of programs.

These programs are about providing access and opportunity where very little to none existed previously. Not very long ago STEM careers were once actively discouraged for women and minorities. These programs offer encouragement and exposure. The kids can choose to pursue the programs or something else... just like everyone else. Some, like my daughter, will choose to take advantage of the programs to pursue STEM related studies, some will not. Again, the point is they have the opportunity to do so.

18. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Timmy the Quota King is at it once again.

Historically All Black - no issue

Anything White, Hetro & Male - major problems.

19. cardfan, Jul 23, 2019

cardfan macrumors 68000

I think perhaps earlier she benefited because that's what got her interested. Since that fuse was lit though, any more encouragement is seen by her as "ok, i get it..geez" It's more like a bombardment. Now she's a teen and very opinionated. Ugh..lol Btw..i say 7th grader but she got a 30 in reading and 32 in eng on ACT at the end of 6th grade. This girl just amazes me at how well she communicates and writes. You'd think she was a college grad over the phone.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2019 ---
    Oh, but i think you know..

20. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Duuuuuuuude. 13 year old and a soon to be 18 year old. I feel you.

21. ericgtr12, Jul 23, 2019

ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Too bad that MR can't post a topic about "diversity" without feeling the need to post it in PRSI.

22. !!! macrumors 6502

I mean, these "diversity" programs are the embodiment of Identity Politics and Affirmative Action, which are two very left leaning ideologies.

Face it, this has nothing to do with actually helping black people code, it's all about showing how "progressive" you can be by essentially being a racist. Excluding or including someone based on race is racism, no matter which race.

23. vicviper789 macrumors regular

I hate to be that one guy but I get the feeling that the tech companies are pushing coding hard so that in a few generations it will be a common skill and actually drive down the wages. Sorta like how almost anyone can use MS Outlook, Word and Excel now days but a generation ago, it was considered a specialty skill.

24. MrTemple macrumors regular

Holy hell does this forum need a downvote button.

25. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

^ Now I see why they posted it here. Good job of making their case for them.