Tennis: Australian Open 2009.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by és:, Jan 13, 2009.

1. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I thought it would be a good idea to post this for all the tennis fans. Who do you think will win? Who do you want to win?

The draw is released in a few days time (Friday) and the tournament starts on Monday.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Think will win? Not sure, one of the top 4 seeds would seem likely. Like to win? Murray :D

3. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

Same here. I'd like Murray to win. He's the best player on tour at the moment and has been for the last 6 months. He's beaten Federer twice and Nadal once already this year and is yet to lose a match.

I think Federer has a good shot due to his experience of winning majors. I don't think Nadal will be that much of a force on the hard court and Nole Djokovic isn't playing all that well at all.

Unless they meet before then I think there is a good chance of a Murray v Federer final. I'm hoping that Murray gets lucky and doesn't meet any tough players 'till later on in the tournament.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Federer will be seeded 2, Murray 4 right? If so they will be in the same half of the draw (going on last years draw).

5. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

Yeah, good point. So I guess that'd be semi or quarters (I'm not exactly sure how they figure out which section they decide to put them in).

Hopefully we can have a situation where Federer gets beaten early on :D

Anyway, the draw is on Friday so I'll post it in here when it comes out.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Semi: if the top 4 seeds stay in they set it so as they'll meet in the semis. 1 would play 3, 2 plays 4. I suppose this is designed to give the greatest chance that 1 and 2 make it to the final which is their advantage for having such a high ranking...

7. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

Ah, thanks for that. It makes perfect sense. I guess the rest of the seeds follow on from that.

8. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Seems I was wrong. Murray and Nadal are in the same half of the draw...

10. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

Yeah, so it could be a Nadal v Murray semi with a Murray V Federer final?

EDIT: tsonga in the QF looks likely. Federer has a likely first three match run of Seppi, moya and safin.

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Much as I would like Nadal to win, I think he'd be best advised to expend his energy on the clay and grass courts.

So this may be the first Big one for Murray.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well what do you know. :)

Nadal in 5…

Federer in tears.

Great match.

13. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Absolutely amazing match. Loved the way both played (minus Fed in set5), but Nadal just overhwelmed and got in Federer's head.
    I am so happy for Nadal, my favourite player! Kid is only 22 and just playing outta this world.

14. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I'm a big Nadal fan, and I thought he was going to get pulversied today. For him to win on a hard court against Fed is astonishing.

And to think, he may never lose on clay...

15. needthephone macrumors 6502a

It was a typical Australian Open where agin the heat played a big part.

Every year it gets to 40 plus degrees and they act like it's never happened before.

Look at Serena Willimas who was so so dominant in the final but was reduced to the verge of almost fainting before they cosed the roof.

Andy Murray was clearly sick as he had been in bed with the flu (he didn't practice for days even before he won teh lats match befor Verdasco). Murray would have given Nadal a game better than Federer who is now over the hill.

Murray will win an open this year. Shame he fell ill during the Australian.

16. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

I'd be very willing to bet against Murray winning a slam, after seeing his poor performance against verdasco, he just ended up playing defence and as Federer said you can't win a Grand Slam by doing that.

He just doesn't seem Grand Slam material to me. He got to the final of the US open which people go on about, but so did Greg Rudsedski and after that he never got past the QF of a Grand Slam. But the fact that Murray worked out so hard in the off season to improve his body and game and is probably playing his best tennis and still went out in the 4Th round is pretty poor. I was expecting him to reach at least the SF

And Yes he was ill but not before the match with verdasco, he was ill before he played meltzer, but by then he was well, so thats no excuse for the verdasco match.

17. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

I'll take that bet.

18. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Ha, we shall see, he can do it when it comes to the masters and lower ATP tournaments. but i'd say this year is probably going to be his best chance at a slam as i feel he is peeking around now. If it doesn't happen this year i'd be very surprised if it does happen. But as i said, i'm pretty confident he won't

I suppose at least he's no choker like Tim, although i do have to admit i was much more of a fan of henman than i am of murray

19. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

What a crazy thing to say! He's 21 and younger than Federer when he won his first slam. He's getting fitter and stronger and mentally tougher. He has been the best player in the world over the last 6-8 months and a loss, due to sickness, against Verdasco (who gave Nadal one hell of a fight) isn't going to change these things.

How confident? I'm £100 confident that he will.

Shock.

It's obvious that you're no fan of his from all the bizarre stuff you've said about him.

20. iOrlando macrumors 68000

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

err… Win what?
    :eek:

22. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

I'll bet you a billion that he gets beaten in the final by Nadal.