Tennis question?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Juan TS, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Juan TS, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

Juan TS macrumors member

Hello!

I've been organizing a tennis tournament, but while planning some "modalities" for the youngest, I faced myself with a horrible lack of vocabulary to talk about this "modality", whose name I am not able to figure out. It consists in something we all do with a tennis racket and a ball, which is "hitting it" several times without letting the ball fell, in a way to see how may "taps" you do. I have looked all over google, but was unable to find the word that describes such thing, but yet very simple.

I'm from Portugal, and when trying to translate it I am unable to find it. In portuguese would be "dar toques na bola".

Sorry for the stupid question, but some help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

In Scotland with a football we'd call it "keepie uppie" (keep ups). And Andy Murray can do it with a tennis ball.

We'd apply the same term to doing it with a tennis racquet, can't think of any other term.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've never heard of an official term because it's not really taught in tennis; you could probably refer to it as an "air volley" or something like that. The concept is pretty simple. Keep-ups would probably also work.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I concur. Incidentally, my keepie uppie record stands at three. Then I broke a lamp. :eek:

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Should have used a ball instead...