Tennis question?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Juan TS, Nov 19, 2011.

  1. Juan TS, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

    Juan TS macrumors member

    Sep 3, 2011
    London, UK

    I've been organizing a tennis tournament, but while planning some "modalities" for the youngest, I faced myself with a horrible lack of vocabulary to talk about this "modality", whose name I am not able to figure out. It consists in something we all do with a tennis racket and a ball, which is "hitting it" several times without letting the ball fell, in a way to see how may "taps" you do. I have looked all over google, but was unable to find the word that describes such thing, but yet very simple.

    I'm from Portugal, and when trying to translate it I am unable to find it. In portuguese would be "dar toques na bola".

    Sorry for the stupid question, but some help would be appreciated.

  2. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816


    Nov 19, 2006
    Renfrew, Scotland
    In Scotland with a football we'd call it "keepie uppie" (keep ups). And Andy Murray can do it with a tennis ball.

    We'd apply the same term to doing it with a tennis racquet, can't think of any other term.
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    I've never heard of an official term because it's not really taught in tennis; you could probably refer to it as an "air volley" or something like that. The concept is pretty simple. Keep-ups would probably also work.
  4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

    Jaffa Cake

    Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    I concur. Incidentally, my keepie uppie record stands at three. Then I broke a lamp. :eek:
  5. bartelby macrumors Core


    Jun 16, 2004
    Should have used a ball instead...

Share This Page