Terminal app for iphone6+

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by simon lefisch, Feb 27, 2015.

1. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Hey everyone,

First time poster AND first time with an iPhone (yes finally made the change) here. I've tried googling this but have yet to find an option that doesn't involve jailbreaking. Is there any way to install a terminal app (like on a Mac) on the iPhone without jailbreaking it? I ask as sometimes I want to use my phone to rdp to my desktop from anywhere, however since my desktop is set to WoL I'd like to be able to send the command via terminal. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

No terminal without jailbreaking. That said, perhaps there's an app that does something like what you are describing that you can use.

3. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Yea figured I had the only way was to jailbreak it. I'd prefer not to tho. Hopefully someone can suggest an app that will allow me to do what I'm looking for. Thanks for the response

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I use remoter VNC for screen sharing. It allows RDP/RDP over ssh, telnet, and ssh connections.

What are you using for the actual RDP connection? You just want to be able to wake the PC before connecting?

5. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I'm using the Microsoft Remote Desktop client app. Works great.

Yes I want to be able to send a magic packet over the Internet to wake my machine. I'm wondering if the machine isn't responding because the ISP is blocking the port or dropping the packet.

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Do you know what port it uses to send the packet?

Have you made sure to forward this port on your router?

Does WOL work on your local network?

7. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

WoL uses port 7 or 9. I have forwarded the ports on my router and WoL does work when connected to my LAN.

8. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

can you make an RDP connection remotely when the machine is awake?

9. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Yes can rdp to my machine thru the Internet if my machine is already awake. The only thing I can't do is wake it up via the Internet. I opened the port on windows firewall as well. Only thing I can think of is the isp drops the packet. I read something saying they may do that cuz the isp thinks it could be a DoS attack.

10. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

have you tried putting your ip and port into canyouseeme.org to see the result?

Also, do you know if you have simple TCP/IP services enabled?
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/ar...Windows-7-Simple-TCPIP-Services-What-How.html

11. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

12. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Ok finally got around to checking my ports on that website and it says it can't see those ports (7 and 9). I did open them on my firewall. Not sure what the prob could be. I do have simple tcp/ip services setup.