terminal app not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Harlanp92, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Harlanp92 macrumors newbie

Hi i'm new here and i hope my time here will be worthwhile as a new Mac user. But i am Having problems opening up terminal. when i go to finder, i go under applications, and then to utilities where i find terminal and when i click it, i see something pop up at the dock and it disappears. and i notice that on a few program i try to execute, such as the expansion packs for the sims 2. if anyone have a solution, it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me.

thanks in advance.
    Harlan

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you launch Terminal, does it show up on the dock? If so, have you tried clicking the dock icon, to open a Terminal window?

3. foidulus macrumors 6502a

The first thing to do would be to launch the console app and look to see if there are any messages:

Applications -> Utilities -> Console(the icon is a black looking screen with orange letters)

Launch that, then launch terminal and see if you see anything weird.

4. Harlanp92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope when i click the terminal.app the generic icon on the dock shows up and dissappear within one second.

5. Harlanp92 thread starter macrumors newbie

wait. i don't even have anything that says console.???

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Are you sure?In the Utilities folder????Anything?:confused:

7. foidulus macrumors 6502a

You might have a corrupted system if you don't have a console application...

8. Harlanp92 thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm sure, when i look in my utilities folder i see only, bluetooth file exchange, installer, network utility, and terminal and all have the generic app icon and all except network utility don't open.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You definitely have a corrupted system, if that's the case. I suggest an Archive and Install to correct this - check the Preserve Users and Network Settings option.

10. Harlanp92 thread starter macrumors newbie

So i have to Reinstall OS X? what is Archive and Install?

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Archive and Install is an option, introduced with Panther, and carried forward into Tiger and Leopard, that lets you reinstall Mac OS X without upgrading an older system or wiping the drive clean first (an Erase and Install).

To do this, boot the Mac from the Mac OS X install disc. After choosing which language to use and accepting the license agreement, you'll be presented with a screen where you choose which drive to install on. Click Options, then choose Archive and Install from there as I suggested. Once that's done continue with the rest of the install process.