Terminal application is missing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macJC50640, Jun 26, 2009.

1. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Where the heck is my terminal?! :eek:
    I was looking for it in Spotlight etc. and I just can't find it! Please help, this is so strange -- how could it just not be here? :confused:
    Any help is greatly appreciated, I am truly stunned.

Attached Files:

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wow that must suck.

Did you change your Spotlight preferences to not search your Macintosh HD drive?

3. macJC50640 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, checked my settings and Spotlight is searching everywhere. Terminal is not in my Trash either -- I never emptied my Trash since I got the computer so...

But the Terminal application is still there because when I click on a terminal shell script such as "uninstall.command" it opens up Terminal. It just doesn't show up in my filesystem. I need ideas, I'm starting to get worried.

4. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

Terminal still opens? While its open, right click on the app in the dock and select "locate in finder" to see where its running from.

5. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Have you tried checking in "/Applications/Utilities" and looking (manually) for "Terminal.app"?

6. gavin83209 macrumors regular

Specifically, command-click on the title bar of the window that Terminal is in to see the path. I would recommend that you do an mv <path>/Terminal.app /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app to resolve the problem. I've never heard of this happening before. Very strange.

7. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

hmm, what I've noticed with my m is that sometimes Spotlight doesn't notice or see an application I just recently downloaded due to the fact that it wasn't indexed yet or something, but this shouldn't be happening with Terminal, I'd go with what the guy earlier said and go into Applications>Utilities and manually opening Terminal to see if it fixes it.