Terminal basics and help with the "mv" command

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eetrey, May 8, 2010.

1. Eetrey macrumors newbie

For the life of me I cannot move a file in a terminal. I have seen every example online and when I try my own version I get this response:

usage: mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source target
    mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source ... directory

I have tried "man mv" but the manual was not much help can anyone give me some suggestions. I want to be able to manipulate my files using a terminal. Thanks in advance.

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

3. Eetrey thread starter macrumors newbie

sure this is what i gather should work:

mv missed notes 1.pdf /Users/edenpreciado/documents/cee163/missed notes 1.pdf

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You have to escape the spaces. And Documents needs to be capitalized, the paths are case sensitive.

So that would actually be:

Code:
    mv missed\ notes\ 1.pdf /Users/edenpreciado/Documents/cee163/missed\ notes\ 1.pdf
    Also, to make things easier, take advantage of tab completion. For example assuming missed notes was the only file in the current directory that began with mis, typing

Code:
    mv mis
    And and then typing tab, terminal would autocomplete the path for you. You could then do this throughout the target path as well.

So, /U tab, e tab, Doc tab, etc.

5. Eetrey thread starter macrumors newbie

nicely done kind sir. Seriously though, thank you very much. I want to become somewhat familiar with the terminal and this really helps.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone