Terminal cmd to repair permissions removed in Beta 2

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by 01mggt, Jun 28, 2015.

1. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Yup, terminal commands to verify and repair permissions that worked in Beta 1 do not seem to work anymore. Gives the following output:

diskutil: did not recognize verb "repairPermissions"; type "diskutil" for a list

christophers-MacBook:~ Chris$ diskutil verifyPermissions /

diskutil: did not recognize verb "verifyPermissions"; type "diskutil" for a list

Would it kill Apple to let us do as we like? I don't prefer the method of doing this automatically when I update the system software.

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

They really are pushing the whole 'rootless' thing. I doubt they'll bring it back but I'm sure you could just use an old copy of diskutil if you want to keep using the command.

3. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Why do you even want to do that manually? It was unneeded in the 99.99999 % of the case.

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

If I were you, I will also want OS X keep that repair permission function, unless, yes, they release minor versions of OS X more frequently than before, for whatever purpose.

I think repair permission would not solely repair permission of system files, but also home folder permission.

Nevertheless, if apple really want to do something to abandon this terminal command, we would likely try to get used to it.

5. KALLT, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

KALLT macrumors 601

Have you checked whether the operation is available in the Recovery OS? Maybe they retained that operation there, alongside the option to turn off System Integrity Protection. Can you post the list of operations when you type just "diskutil" in Terminal?

I am not sure myself. Clearly Apple seems to think that the operation is obsolete even if it does repair more than the now-protected system and bin folders (I honestly don't know). Either they expand upon System Integrity Protection a bit more or repairpermissions is not necessary for these purposes in the first place. I don't think that Apple would actually leave such an option out if the chance exists that users may have to rely upon system updates and installs for this.

6. tywebb13, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  7. KALLT macrumors 601

repairPermissions and verifyPermissions are indeed gone. I don't see any other differences here.

8. tywebb13, Jun 29, 2015
  9. tywebb13, Jun 29, 2015
  10. SG- macrumors regular

SG-

if nothing can modify the system files which includes permissions, then there's no reason to repair system permissions. the only reason you'd want to repair them is if you've disabled system protection mode and i wouldn't be surprised if once 10.11 ships that all the proper tools will be in place for people to repair it. right now things are in a state of flux especially for the enabling/disabling of protection mode as indicated in the WWDC talk.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It is my understanding, that El Capitan automatically repairs permissions (if need be) with each update.

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

That's correct. From: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/releasenotes/General/rn-osx-10.11/ (OS X El Capitan Developer Beta 2 Release Notes)