Terminal command in Sierra does not work with Circus Ponies Notebook v.4

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by CLOD-HOPPER, Jan 20, 2017.

1. CLOD-HOPPER, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

CLOD-HOPPER macrumors member

Hello — Recently, I started to use Sierra 10.12.2, having cured the teething problems with Photoshop that had occurred weeks ago. I thought that everything was now fine, until I tried to apply a Terminal command to Circus Ponies v. 4. The command was given to me many months ago, by the now defunct C.P. Notebook team, and is meant to enable C.P.N. to create new "writing pages" (at some point, these became unobtainable. (After a certain point in the C.P.N. updates, only "note-pages" were available, and these are no good to me.)

Anyway, the instructions given by the C.P.N. team were as follows:

Follow these steps to enable Writing pages in NoteBook (quit the NoteBook application prior to doing these steps):

1. Open the Terminal application. This a command line application and is found in the Utilities subfolder of your Applications folder.

2. At the prompt, type (or copy and paste):

defaults write com.circusponies.NoteBook.Mac “Allow Writing Pages” YES

3. Press Return. You’ll see a new prompt, and that means the command was executed.

You’ll now find the ability to add a Writing page from the Page menu. END OF INSTRUCTIONS

This worked fine when I ran El Capitan, but, for some reason, the command does not work when running Sierra.

Is there anyone out there that can usefully comment on this? If someone can help, I should be very grateful!

With thanks in hope,

C-H

PS: Here, I paste in the results, in the Terminal window, of trying to apply the command above:

2017-01-20 15:29:56.570 defaults[1221:35458] Unexpected argument Pages”; leaving defaults unchanged.

[Process completed]

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Did you receive an error in Terminal after entering this? It's possible that the quotes are the problem, if they're "curly quotes." (What you typed has the curly quotes around Allow Writing Pages and won't work in terminal as-is.)
    Code:
    defaults write com.circusponies.NoteBook.Mac "Allow Writing Pages" YES
    Otherwise, the command is valid and works in 10.12.2. Whether or not it still has any effect on the application you're trying to use is a different matter.

3. CLOD-HOPPER thread starter macrumors member

Chrfr, you are a genius! I copied your command, applied it to Terminal, and it worked. Now, a new menu option has appeared, which is New Writing Page. Believe me, I am so grateful for this.
    With best regards,
    Clod-Hopper

4. cdavey macrumors newbie

Hey, it's great to hear that Circus Ponies is still working in Sierra! It doesn't claim to work beyond 10.11, El Capitain.
    Can you confirm that it's still working fine? Have you tried it with 10.12.3 or 4?

5. CLOD-HOPPER thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it works fine in 10.12.4

6. cdavey macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks!

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Sadly, CPN doesn't work in High Sierra (beta). Hopefully it will work by the time it's out of beta, but am looking at alternatives now. I'll probably export all my old notebooks (which are now static) to HTML. I currently use CPN for book authoring and it looks like I can just move everything to within Scrivener. I also use it for general notes and will probably use Apple's Notes app.

8. CLOD-HOPPER thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the warning, talmy. I intended simply to update, when H.Sierra was released. Now, I shall be cautious, as I would not want to lose C.P. Notebook if it is at all possible.
    However, recently, as a precaution against its eventual loss, I tried out DEVONThink Pro. It's expensive, in my opinion, but it's very good, as it will store any kind of file. (Unfortunately, it's not as convenient in format as CPN.) You may like to look at it.
    C.H.

9. cdavey macrumors newbie

10. CLOD-HOPPER thread starter macrumors member

C.P.N. version 4 works fine in 10.12.6
    C.Hopper

11. cdavey macrumors newbie

Thx!