Terminal crashes on launch

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kostia, Oct 28, 2007.

1. kostia macrumors regular

15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo. We had some issues with install (same Unsanity problems as everyone else, mainly). I've gotten past that and things look good now. But there's ONE PROBLEM left, and that is that Terminal.app crashes every time I try to launch it.

I *can* run Terminal as another (non-admin) user. But trashing my preferences doesn't help. Is there another file someplace that I can delete?

I've tried moving the app out of the Applications folder, I've tried running it under Rosetta, and it works on my G4 Powerbook. The Tiger version of Terminal.app, which I pulled off a backup, works fine on the MBP.

The crash reports and syslog are unhelpful to my semi-untrained eye. Any ideas? Anything? Please? Imagine running OS X without Terminal. It's no fun.

Attached Files:

2. kevo0822 macrumors regular

You're not alone... I'm having the same problem. I've never been able to get Terminal up and running since I installed Leopard.

When I open the app, it bounces in the dock a few times, the little blue light comes on to tell me the app is open, and then it crashes before it ever has a chance to fully "open". I really don't want to have to reinstall the entire OS....

3. kostia thread starter macrumors regular

Don't bother. I HAVE reinstalled, and it still bounces/lights up and crashes.

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Try creating a brand new user and seeing if Terminal works when you're logging in under that account. If that works, perhaps it's some gunk in your preferences.

Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist and try it then.

Ah, nevermind, I see you tried that already.

5. kevo0822 macrumors regular

So I called AppleCare and the guy basically told me that I had to do an Archive and Install... even though I told him I had JUST finished doing one literally an hour before I called. He said I needed to do another one.

Still no solution. Terminal still won't open in my user even though it opens in all other users on my computer. I've deleted com.apple.terminal.plist and still no success...

6. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Anyone have a fix on this? This is happening to me and I'm getting annoyed by it.

I created another user and it works perfectly fine. What gives!?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, the original poster had 10.5 (not unexpected at the time)..
    I just want to make sure that everyone is at 10.5.1 now and still having this problem?

It should be noted that the OP's crash appears to be related to sound somehow..

Code:
    Thread 0 Crashed:
    0   libSystem.B.dylib             	0xffff07c2 __memcpy + 34
    1   ....audio.toolbox.AudioToolbox	0x941b08e7 AFReadProc(void*, long long, unsigned long, void*, unsigned long*) + 87
    2   ....audio.toolbox.AudioToolbox	0x94222488 AudioFileOpenWithCallbacks + 120
    3   ....audio.toolbox.AudioToolbox	0x941b07fd VerifyAndMapURL(__CFURL const*, long long&) + 333
    4   ....audio.toolbox.AudioToolbox	0x941b0682 ActionDataToServer(__CFURL const*, unsigned long) + 562
    5   ....audio.toolbox.AudioToolbox	0x9427d76c AudioServicesCreateSystemSoundID + 188
    And then the first 3rd party open code was something called "ecamm"..

Code:
    0x72d000 -   0x72efff +com.ecamm.pluginloader Ecamm Plugin Loader v1.0.5 (1.0.5) /Library/InputManagers/Ecamm/Ecamm Plugin Loader.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Ecamm Plugin Loader
    Could this be related? No idea.

But it's worth a try.

Though for you.. you should post your crashlog.

8. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Alright. Here you go. Also, I created two other users, a user and an Administrator and both work PERFECTLY. Is it possible for you guys to fix another problem, with Firefox and iTunes from the crash log?

Attached Files:

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, yours is sound related too. Have you fiddled with sounds at all? Removed sounds or replaced them? Perhaps Terminal wants one for it's bell, but it's not there?

10. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

No, not at all. I don't even know where the sounds are.

How could I go about fixing it? I really need Terminal in order to assess why Firefox is all funky. Do you know what sound file exactly?

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have no idea. I don't run Leopard (I need OS X to work).

But since you mention that Firefox is "all funky", it makes me wonder if it's some of the plug-ins you're using?

I noticed these in your crashlog..

Code:
     0x8d000 -    0x8efff +com.1passwd.InputManager 2.5.7 (5899) <0ee7b2245d52c905764dad5b5072f832> /Library/InputManagers/1PasswdIM/1PasswdIM.bundle/Contents/MacOS/1PasswdIM
      0x752000 -   0x752ffc +com.growl.GrowlSafariLoader 1.0 (1.1) /Library/InputManagers/GrowlSafari/GrowlSafariLoader.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GrowlSafariLoader
      0x757000 -   0x758fff +com.ecamm.pluginloader Ecamm Plugin Loader v1.0.5 (1.0.5) /Library/InputManagers/Ecamm/Ecamm Plugin Loader.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Ecamm Plugin Loader
      0x7b2000 -   0x7b8fff +net.sourceforge.SafariAdBlock 0.2.1 (0.2.1) <a3121357a86d993752b2c07756e2b7c8> /Library/InputManagers/Safari AdBlock/Safari AdBlock.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Safari AdBlock
      0x7c1000 -   0x7edfe7 +com.zang.RegexKit 0.4.0 (0.4.0) /Library/InputManagers/Safari AdBlock/Safari AdBlock.bundle/Contents/Frameworks/RegexKit.framework/Versions/A/RegexKit
    Don't know if they are an issue or not.

Have you tried the easiest of solutions and simply removed the Terminal preference file? com.apple.Terminal.plist

12. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Well, not only is it Firefox, it is iTunes too.

Yes, I have trashed that file and it still crashed.

About the 5 entires. What would they mean? 1password is a password manager, Growl is self-explanatory, Ecamm I've never heard of, Adblock is blocking ads and Regex I have never heard of.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'd remove all non-apple input managers and restart. And then try it.

14. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Terminal still crashes. :(

This is getting annoying. I don't understand why it works on all my other user accounts except my administrator. Do you think I should make a new administrator name, copy all of my stuff to that name and use that name because something is REALLY messed up with this account.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, if you did that, you'd likely copy the problem to the new admin account.

There's no easy fix for this and a whole lot of legwork is ahead of you.

Something in /Users/youruser/Library is the cause of this.. it's up to you to test and see what it is. Start large and narrow the field. Make a backup in case you mess something up severely.

16. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Could I just copy all my Applications, Music and Pictures over? I don't really care about preferences. I can just re-do them all. No big deal.

I know some stuff will require me to move it over, like Firefox's profiles and the like.

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, if that's the case.. then move everything from ~/Library/Preferences/ to a backup folder, then logout, then log back in.. Does Terminal work? Then it's something in there. If it still doesn't work, put all the files back and try and the same thing with ~/Library/Application Support/. Rinse, repeat.

18. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Cha-ching. There is something funky in the Preferences folder.
    Everything works perfect now that it is there. But, what could it be? I've got 387 files in there! :(

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Seems like you have 386 tests to make. ;)

20. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

OR I can just cheat and just use the new folder. :D Some stuff I had to replace, like my Mail file.

But, thanks for the help. If you weren't here, I probably would've formatted and reinstalled. Thanks! :D