Terminal doesn't login or accept any commands

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Thunderforge, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Thunderforge macrumors newbie

So today I opened up my terminal and I get absolutely nothing:

[​IMG]

Normally, it starts up saying my name and whatnot (I'm not too familiar with the Terminal or UNIX commands, sorry), but right now, it doesn't do anything. It will let me type something in, but hitting return does nothing. I've tried sending a soft and hard reset, logging out of my account, and even changing the "Shells open with" command in the Terminal preferences. Nothing happens.

Could someone who is a bit more knowledgeable tell me how to fix my Terminal?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you use Terminal frequently? What have you done since you used it last? Have you tried rebooting? I'm not sure what this means:

If not, it's probably a problem with your .bash_profile file. Try following some of the steps here:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-48059.html

3. Thunderforge thread starter macrumors newbie

Typically, I don't use the Terminal very often and really don't do beyond what I'm instructed to do. Most recently, I was following the official instructions found at this link to fix a Juniper Network Connect program that my school uses. I was partly through that when this behavior happened. This is the only thing I've tried to do since I upgraded to 10.6

When I said I sent a soft and hard reset, I mean that I used the menu options in the "Shell" menu of the Terminal. I assumed that they would attempt to reboot the shell session, but they aren't doing anything.

I'll try the steps with the ._bash profile, although I can't do the ones that require you to type stuff in.

EDIT: Turning on "Show Hidden Files" and removing the .bash_profile did not fix the problem. I've put it back for now.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

5. Thunderforge thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. Same behavior.

EDIT: Well, I restarted and now it's working. Thanks for all your help.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Restarting usually fixes a lot of things. Why didn't you do what miles01110 suggested right away?