Terminal experts. Something simple....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ntrigue, Nov 18, 2007.

1. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I was displeased with font smoothing when viewing the MBP on a 37" 1080P so I tracked down a couple sites and eventually did this:

defaults write -g AppleAntiAliasingThreshold 128
    defaults write CoreGraphics CGFontDisableAntialiasing YES

Could I have suggestions to go back to default please!

Thanks for your patience, I am a bit new to Terminal. I think I understand the first one and would probably set it very low (4 or so instead of 128) to apple antialiasing to all fonts larger than 4. But the second line? CGFontEnableAntialiasing YES

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

how about:

defaults write CoreGraphics CGFontDisableAntialiasing NO

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Based on my experience with this stuff I suggest:

defaults write Coregraphics CGFontDisableAntialiasing NO

I don't know where the path is to this so if you can remember where on the disk you go in order to do the defaults command?

4. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Still no response when I change settings in System Prefs > Font Smoothing

Must not have worked?

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I think you need to give us a good round-about of what it is you have been wanting to do, what you found for a fix, what you actually did and whatnot.

We have no means of guessing your thoughts unfortunately :(

6. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

defaults write -g AppleAntiAliasingThreshold 8
    defaults write CoreGraphics CGFontDisableAntialiasing NO

I am not sure but you may want to try the above.

The AppleAntiAliasingThreshold is the smallest font you want to have Anti-Aliasing (or font smoothing) Before at 128 generally means it won't smooth any font under 128 font size... I think the default is around 8 or 6 I am not sure.

CGFontDisableAntialiasing set to no is opposite to what you did to reverse it.

7. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I purchased an 1080p set and kept the size reasonable because I wanted a dual purpose monitor. I was always excited about the DVI-out on my MBPro. The dock looks great at 1080p even the wallpaper can be downloaded. But the menu bar text and website text is a bit disappointing; jagged/staggered/blurry may describe it.

I just expected to be able to surf the interweb and manage iTunes on this size television. I sought a way to "clean-up" the text a bit. I worked through Font Smoothing in the Prefs and all settings looked the same (Light-Strong-LCD). So I found that programmers, staring at the screen for long hours utilized the above command-line to eliminate the anti-aliasing.