Terminal Help Please!

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Rynwar79, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Rynwar79 macrumors newbie

Hi All

Major issues here with my MacBook! My MacBook is not booting! After reading it seems to be due to a shoddy update something to do with a driver preventing my MacBook from booting. Simple enough, advice seems to be to download the latest combo update using a functional mac (done) and copy that dmg onto a USB or External HDD (done) then to boot into mountain lion recovery (done) connect the External HDD (done) use Disk Utility to mount the dmg (done) then to use terminal to install the pkg within that mounted dmg thus restoring my mac to a hopefully working condition.

Sounds easy except I don't know squat about terminal!

Lots of people on various forums offering advice and writing things that mean nothing to me at all!

Are capital letters important with terminal?

Nice and simple guys please, what do I need to type to install the pkg update.

My Main Disk on my Mac is called VIRGO
    My External containing the dmg is called MY DRIVE
    The dmg is called OSXUpdCombo10.8.2.dmg
    The mounted drive from that dmg is called OS X 10.8.2 Update Combo
    The pkg file on that mounted drive is OSXUpdCombo10.8.2.pkg

Think that's all the info I can give. Please help before I throw the thing out the window or pull all my hair out (what's left of it!)

2. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

disclaimer: I have not tried doing this but just based on my unix background.

try this one ... it's case-sensitive

Code:
    sudo "/Volumes/MY DRIVE/usr/sbin/installer" -pkg "/Volumes/OS X 10.8.2 Update Combo/OSXUpdCombo10.8.2.pkg" -target "/Volumes/MY DRIVE/"
    hope this helps.