Terminal is gone. Pacifist not working.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by koderkid, Jul 6, 2011.

1. koderkid, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

koderkid macrumors newbie

I awoke today to find that Terminal.app is gone from my computer. I installed Pacifist and used it to extract Terminal.app from my OSinstall disk, but every time I extract it it says that the file is damaged or incomplete. I am Running Snow Leopard 10.6.8
    Any solutions?

P.S. No one suggest alternatives for Terminal, i'm not interested.

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

The only thing that I can think of is that the .plist file might still be on your computer, causing the extractor to think that terminal is still on your computer when it's not. The .plist file for Terminal is located at ~username/Library/Preferances/com.apple.Terminal.plist

This article on completely removing applications from your Mac may help as well: http://www.rawcomputing.co.uk/macuninstall.html

See if that helps.

3. koderkid thread starter macrumors newbie

i found the .plist file, trashed it, but the extracted data is still damaged/incomplete. could it be a problem with my install disk?

4. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I wouldn't imagine so...you said you are using pacifist to extract the files? Maybe it's a problem with that program. Try using something different to extract it with.

If that doesn't work, if you use Time Machine, you can just do a system restore to sometime before you lost the Terminal app. I've done that before, it's a life saver :)

5. koderkid thread starter macrumors newbie

could i backup all my data onto an external drive and reinstall the OSX applications using the disks?

6. koderkid thread starter macrumors newbie

7. koderkid thread starter macrumors newbie

im *******

now it appears that iMovie, Photobooth, and Textedit are missing too..

8. simsaladimbamba

What the hezmana is happening?
    Anyway, here is TextEdit and PhotoBooth in one zip file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10644330/MR...R_screenshots_07_2011/TextEdit+PhotoBooth.zip

Btw, if you do a reinstall of Mac OS X, all applications will be reinstalled and none of your data will be deleted during that. But a backup is always good to do before such endeavour.

9. flyster macrumors newbie

Just seen this thread and am missing terminal from my mac 10.5.8, downloaded this app and everytime i launch it, it quits unexpectedly, any ideas how to launch it?

10. dakwar macrumors 6502

Could your hard drive be developing bad sectors or otherwise failing? Try Verify Disk from Disk Utility if you haven't already. ... and Repair Disk Permissions while you're at it.

11. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried Pacifist yet, as the Terminal you downloaded is NOT for YOUR Mac OS X version.

12. flyster macrumors newbie

already tried pacifist and it didn't work, if anyone has a download for terminal like the one above it would be much appreciated (osx 10.5.8):)