Terminal Mystery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lankox, Apr 24, 2008.

1. lankox macrumors regular

The name of my Macbook pro is Lank Ox and short name is loxendine. In terminal the prompt states "david-laptop:~ loxendine$" ?

1: I'm pretty sure that it has not always said that. I have owned the MBP for 2 months. Can some program cause this?

2. I bought new, sealed off of ebay. Does this mean that it wasn't new?

3. How do I change it?

Thanks for all of your help!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Is your name David? Did you go through the set up when you first booted the computer? If you answer no to either or both, then it's not new.

As with changing it, go to System Preferences-->Sharing and change the computer name.

As with the Terminal, sometimes will show your hostname if you connected online recently.

3. lankox thread starter macrumors regular

System Preferences-->Sharing shows "Lank Ox's MBP". Is there any other place this info is kept? My name is not David. Like I said above, there is no way that I have missed this for 2 months. I have used Terminal many times. Conspiracy? Possessed? :eek:

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

who installed the OS?
    did it yourself or someone else?

5. lankox thread starter macrumors regular

Already installed. I opened the box, hit the power button, walk thru setup assistant, and started to play.

6. lankox thread starter macrumors regular

Could this be connected to the recent Firmware update I installed yesterday?

7. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

maybe its your email adress? that looks normal, maybe its a default?

8. lankox thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate all of the responses. It seems that when you're connected to the internet, the value for HostName is overridden by information from your ISP, which assigns you a host name. When I disconnect from the network, everything is well but when I reconnect the name changes (this time to something different). Thanks again for the help!!

9. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Correct... Specifically it is overwritten by what is being supplied by DHCP which usually pulls it from DNS.