Terminal on Install DVD - command not found

Discussion in 'macOS' started by madmac66, Feb 8, 2013.

1. madmac66 macrumors newbie

Hi guys

Running Terminal off the Snow Leopard Install DVD, was trying to use the Reset Password app to Remove ACLs on a particular User Account.

For some reason that process ran all night and was still running in the morning, so I decided to quit and try Terminal instead.

I managed to successfully remove any ACL using
    Code:
    chmod -RN /Volumes/MyDrive/Users/MyUser
    I also used
    Code:
    ls -led /Volumes/MyDrive/Users/MyUser
    to change the group from wheel to staff, as this fell in line with the other user accounts on the machine.

However, I did a find and noticed that many many files in the MyUser/Documents folder were locked. I tried to use
    Code:
    chflags -R /Volumes/MyDrive/Users/MyUser/Documents
    but I keep getting command not found as the return.

I tried
    Code:
    /bin/chflags -R /Volumes/MyDrive/Users/MyUser/Documents
    /usr/bin/chflags -R /Volumes/MyDrive/Users/MyUser/Documents
    but both returned command not found as well

I checked my paths:
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
    I tried
    Code:
    /bin/ls
    .forward Library
    so I know that the ls command is in the bin directory. Where would the chflags command be found? And can I call that command from the Install DVD, or does that only provide a sub-set of the UNIX commands?

Any light you can shed would be greatly helpful
    cheers
    mm66

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

chflags is in /usr/bin. It may not be on the install DVD's installation. Those discs do have a lightweight OS on them that lacks many of the core features as their OS is designed to only install Mac OS X.

3. madmac66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Intell

Figured as much. I'll try rebooting into Recovery and seeing if that is any better.

4. madmac66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Strange, I cannot log on into Recovery Mode. I hold down Cmd-R when booting up and I boot straight into the regular User Login screen.

Any ideas?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Does your Lion/Mountain Lion installation have a recovery partition on it? Does it show up in the boot menu (option key at boot)?

6. madmac66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Never mind, just found out Recovery mode is not available in Snow Leopard. Will have to sudo in normal Admin User mode

cheers

----------

LEt me ask, is the upgrade to Lion worth it?

The upgrade to Snow Leopard for me was the most heinous painful upgrade since OS9 to OSX. Borked so many little things. Vowed never to do another OS upgrade unless I absolutely critically life-depended-on-it had to.

7. steviewhy macrumors regular

The only reason to update to Lion or Mountain Lion is for iCloud or if you want to use Xcode to program apps for iOS 6 and above. Other than that stay where you are. If curiosity gets the better of you and you want to try it out, go straight to Mountain Lion and skip Lion entirely. You'll thank me later.