Terminal Problem

danman2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Hello!

I have a UNIX executable file to execute via Terminal... however when trying to do so I have the following message :eek::

apples-macbook-2:mcsim-5.4.0 apple$ convanal
-bash: /usr/local/bin/convanal: cannot execute binary file

Any ideas :confused:

Thx

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
Hello!

I have a UNIX executable file to execute via Terminal... however when trying to do so I have the following message :eek::

apples-macbook-2:mcsim-5.4.0 apple$ convanal
-bash: /usr/local/bin/convanal: cannot execute binary file

Any ideas :confused:

Thx
Did you compile the binary yourself, or get it from the internet?
It could be the binary was not compiled for your system.

danman2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
I thought it would be a compiling issue but as it's a UNIX file I hoped to be able to execute it as most probably I won't be able to get the source code for compiling it on my MAC.

The file it's not from internet, it's from my ex-work and we used it on UNIX to do convergence analysis for MCMC chains

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I thought it would be a compiling issue but as it's a UNIX file I hoped to be able to execute it as most probably I won't be able to get the source code for compiling it on my MAC.

The file it's not from internet, it's from my ex-work and we used it on UNIX to do convergence analysis for MCMC chains
Do you know specifically what flavor of unix? If so, and you can get a hold of that version, and it is intel based, you may be able to run it in a VM using VMWare or a similar product.

danman2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Do you know specifically what flavor of unix? If so, and you can get a hold of that version, and it is intel based, you may be able to run it in a VM using VMWare or a similar product.
Well not sure if it's the GNU Herd version as the softwares we use on unix are from the GNU organization.

Anyway thx a lot, I'll try to see what y told me in these couple of days n come back with the result. If it doesn't work I'll probably switch to R to do the convergence analysis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.