terminal question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pmbooks, Jun 10, 2013.

1. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

I've checked several threads on this but not found an answer. I've just about zip experience with Terminal—:eek:—so the answer must be obvious, but when I type in
    defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSRecentDocumentsLimit 20
    and hit enter, then go to TextEdit, close it out and reopen it, the same number of default "Open Recent" docs appear in the dropdown, not the 20 I expect. I see no change; same thing for Preview (no change).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Paul
    MPB 10.7.5

2. Bear macrumors G3

First I recommend you make the change while the apps are not running. (Not strictly necessary, but the apps would have to be restarted to pick up the change.)

Second you need to open some more documents for the recent list to grow. If it's only remembering 10 then you increae the number to 20, it still has only remembered 10 so far.

3. pmbooks thread starter macrumors regular

pmbooks

Exactly as I suspected, an easy answer. (thanks). I simply had not recently opened enough items to lengthen the "recent" listing. This begs the question, just how much time is considered "recent?"

4. Bear macrumors G3

Until it gets manually cleared.

5. meme1255, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

meme1255 macrumors 6502

Try to think like a computer: „Remember 10 last items opened". Computer remembers last 10 items. When I change settings to 20, it means: Since now remember 20 items. It won't show 20 items immediately - It was told to remember 10 items and it was doing exactly what user wanted. :) (Well, it would be possible to program it remember more items and show only last ten items, but it's probably working the way I described above)

Ad. removing: Items are removed from the oldest one when the "recent buffer" overflows