Terminal Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by guru_ck, Jun 3, 2008.

1. guru_ck macrumors 6502

So I've begun to mess around with terminal in OS X. On my Windows machine at Work I've always used SecureCRT. I have a few dozens Linux servers that I routenly SSH into at work and would like to get a connection list setup in Terminal that is similar to SecureCRT.

So my questions are:
    1) How do I save passwords in Terminal without having to enter them in each time I connect?
    2) How do I rename the connection name in the "connect to server" dialog box?
    3) How do I upload files from my local desktop to the remote server via SSH? In SecureCRT I used the "rz" command. I don't think SFTP will work for me since I'm going to be uploading files from our media server (that is mounted as a shared drive in OS X) to the remote Linux server.

TIA!

2. Mumford macrumors regular

1) use password-less ssh logins (click here for more links with instructions)
    2) no idea
    3) scp is the command you want. It will work without passwords if you set up password-less logins in #1. scp will copy files from any mounted file system (including files from your media server). scp can even copy from one remote linux system to another remote linux system through your mac. sftp will probably work as well.