Terminal randomly opens and I lose control of the active window

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MusicMakerMac, Oct 20, 2016.

1. MusicMakerMac macrumors newbie

I've had my iMac for 4 months now. For the majority of that time I've been having an issue with it that has been hard to find any advice for online.

At first the issue was that Terminal would randomly open about once every 3-4 minutes in the background. The app that I was using would suddenly become inactive as if it were being pushed to the background or being de-selected.

For example, I would be typing text in Safari and I would suddenly hear the error sound because what I was typing was longer being typed out in Safari. The safari window had become de-selected and slightly greyed out. As if a new app had opened in front of it. At the same time Terminal would have opened in the background.

This still happens but Terminal no longer opens in the background for some reason. I just frequently loose control of the window I have active.

Once I lose control of the window the menu bar still keeps that app in use. (i.e. Safari will still be in the menu bar top left) It does not default to finder. I have to click back on to the window to regain control.

Any suggestions?

Jason

OS X 10.11.16
    iMac 5K 27" Late 2015
    3.2 GHz i5
    Memory: 8GB (Soon to be upgraded)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2016 ---
    I've taken a shot of the Console and marked each time the loss of control happens. You can see each time it happens by the greyed Marker line

Attached Files:

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

3. MusicMakerMac thread starter macrumors newbie

You seem to be right! I have quit the app and am no longer experiencing the issues. Thank you very much!

Very strange though, I can't seem to find anyone else having the same issue with it. I'll be contacting Avid.