Terminal Shell Export/Import Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jasontech, May 14, 2008.

1. Jasontech macrumors newbie

I just modified my host file on my MBP and I want to export this file so I can import it on the other 3 mac's in my office. I think I know how to export the file I guess I go up to shell and export settings but when I try and import the file into my other MAC it doesn't seem to import correctly. Any ideas?????

Thanks,

Jason.

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

According to the Terminal Help:

In Terminal, choose Terminal > Preferences, and then click Settings.

In the Finder, locate the Terminal settings file and then drag it to the Settings list, located on the left side of the Settings pane.

3. Jasontech thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that and it didn't work. What I want is the ability to over write my existing host file with the one I exported on my MBP. Kind of like when you export the registry setting in a windows environment and re import them. I did see a the option to import but when I do the file does not overwrite the existing host file.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You don't need to do an export/import here. A simple copy and paste will work - in fact, you don't even need to use the Terminal. On the MBP, from the Finder, select the Go To Folder... option, and type in:
    Code:
    /etc
    as the folder to go to. Find the file called hosts, copy this, then do the same procedure on the other Macs, replacing the existing hosts file with the one you copied. You'll be asked for an adminstrator's user name and password to complete the operation. After that's done, repair permissions on all Macs, then issue this command from the Terminal on all Macs (assuming all Macs are running 10.4 or later):
    Code:
    sudo killall -HUP lookupd
    Do this as an administrator, as you'll need permission to use sudo as well as the administrator account password on each Mac.

If you don't want to use that command, or can't because some of the Macs are running an older version of Mac OS X, then a restart will have the same effect.