terminal startup error, works but huh?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Kyle N, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Kyle N macrumors newbie

I am trying to avoid reformatting to get it fixed. Takes too much time.

Basically this is just a annoyance. Whenever I open Terminal I get this automatically, not hitting any key....
    Yes, 8 times. I don't know why. There must be something trying to run automatically, I don't know. It doesn't do anything bad, just annoying as hell.

Does anyone know how to effectively restore terminal to default? I know going back to default settings won't work, did that. Especially being that terminal is just the executor of all the crap thats in the home folders. Are there any setting files that can be deleted that will return operations to normal? Something of the sort?

Thanks, Kyle.

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Kyle,

Look at the "export" lines in your various ".bash_*" files to see what is wrong. Do you have the character ‘ in front of "export"? If yes, remove it. there should be a matching close quote at the end of the line either.

S-

3. Kyle N, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

Kyle N thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Sorry I don't know squat about terminal, if it wasn't obvious. But where are these BASH files, I've searched up and down. Didn't see them in /library/preferences. They must be hidden by Apple, much like I found out the library was on Lion (that I just 'upgraded' to).

Would appreciate input. All I do is run some computer codes on the school servers for it, so I don't know much about what is actually going on.

THanks, Kyle.

EDIT: I figured I should check Xcode, as the terminal tools was a required download in Lion. Couldn't find anything, but I am sure they are buried in there.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Kyle,

You have obviously installed something you don't understand or done something you can't fix yourself. You need to find someone that can help in person or start over....

S-

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

there's a resource file called, iirc, bashrc or some such variation; this is where the export and other commands live.

what did you install when the problem first happened?

6. Kyle N thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a HW assignment to run criticality calculations with some software called MCNP, Monte Carlo N-Particle. It is terminal based. I've run a few other terminal based programs on the servers on campus. This one I legally obtained a copy and installed it. Terminal based installer. But straightforward. It was written like 20 years ago.

Basically because of its age it can be tricky to get on modern systems, but you definitely can. I could install it but it wasn't recognizing the mcnp5 command. So I followed some tutorial on how to get it going because a ~apparent~ lack of a compiler on Snow Leopard, this included terminal tasks, something didn't go perfect. Everything works just apparently have a botched code line. Or 8. After that didn't do anything different, I 'upgraded' to Lion. Nothing different either after reinstalling.

Anyhow I got MCNP5 working, from someone on mcnp.net, told me a work-a-round code line to get terminal to run it. I was just hoping to get rid of that annoying start-up error. If I cant fix it, I may just reformat. I'm not a cpu guru but I know how to do that and it works pretty well. Get rid of **** you dont need too.

Thanks, Kyle. I'll search around when I get home for iirc or whatever else.