Terminal U/S After 10.8.1 Update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Macman45, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Far from fixing things, it appears that Apple have messed up terminal. I have tried this on all Three of my Macs after the update, and they all give the file system error:

[ERROR] <CPPathUtils.c:526> The device-file for this operating system, 'osx-12.1.0.xml', was not found. An attempt to revert to a previous revision of the OS device-file: 'osx-12.0.0.xml' has been made. Please file a Radar report with Apple, on the 'CoreProfile' component, version 'X'.

I wil send a report to them, anybody else having issues with terminal post update?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Does that happen when you launch Terminal or when you enter a specific command? It all seems to be working for me.

3. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I can't even report this unless I sign up for a DEV account..I don't want one, so if somebody who has one could send Apple the text above I'd be grateful. I'm pretty sure that this is going to be a global issue. If an iMac, an MBP and an MBA all throw the same toys out of the same pram, then the update has broken something.

----------

It's not on launch, it's commands...Any can't use sudo either it throws the same error as the text in my post.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

sudo works for me. What other commands are you having trouble with?

5. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

All I use and on 3 Macs...Can't be a coincidence. I've looked through activity monitor but can't find anything unusual there...I'm wondering if it's a particular app that's no longer compatible, but it was such a small update.

All three Macs are running fine. I will try an SMC re-set on them when I have time later tonight or tomorrow.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Doing a Google search, the issue seems to be with the purge program. I never use it, but tried it and get that message. Other programs work fine.

7. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I can use the help command to get the list...that's about it as far as I can tell. No stars there to indicate disabled commands either...Hmm, this may take some working out. I really don't want to have to re-install ML. If it is a widespread issue I guess I can live without terminal for a while.

----------

I just re-set the SMC on my Air...Terminal appears to be working again, at least on that Mac. Something weird in that update I guess.

I will do my MBP and iMac in the morning and post back with the results.

8. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It appears that several commands have been left out or forgotten...I have most functionality back now. The "Purge" command won't work, and several start commands hang too.

It's not as major an issue as I first thought...Apple will probably patch it shortly. I had to re-set SMC and Pram in order to get it working again...Probably because I was typing commands in that didn't work. Strange though...Apple normally screw something far less useful up.:)

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It would be nice if you were more specific. I know that some programs that were in the basic install of Lion are now only in Xcode install or the Server install. They are removing things that 99% of people don't need, but most things still are available if you know where to look.

10. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Terminal has not been changed, it was not working at all as per my post above with any standard or sudo command....Now it works for most things...It's a known issue. Specifically:

Purge (errors out)

Start / name of app etc (works 50% of the time, errors out with the same message the other 50%)

As I said, at first I thought oh no, re-install here we come (on 3 Macs) but it's not just me, so I guess it will eventually be repaired. For now, I'm going to avoid using Terminal unless I really need to.

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I guess you mean "start" and not "open". I use the command line a lot but rarely use it to start GUI applications. Just tried it here and it works. I've never used "purge" but the problem with the command seems to be universal, however I've also read that it works although it prints out that garbage.

12. dsciel macrumors regular

i have the same issue while using purge command....but inactive memory did clear out though