Terminal vs. GUI. Am I seeing everything?

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Ok guys, help me out here. While navigating using terminal it seems that there are more directories and files visible than there is though the GUI. Am I seeing things? If not, is there a way to unhide these files?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Terminal lets you see all of the files (including hidden ones, if you search appropriately).

You can get to some of the other files and folders using the "Go to Folder..." command (shift-⌘-G) in Finder and heading for places like "/usr".

However, going to places Finder doesn't normally let you go can cause you to mess up files essential to the proper running of OS X, so I wouldn't do it lightly.

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
Is there any way of getting finder to show these folders. I would love to navigate through /etc, /var, /opt and terminal-only-knows what else is in my root directory using the finder. I've only recently gotten spotlight to index these, which it doesn't do by default.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Use TinkerTool to enable viewing of hidden and system files/folders (as well as enable lots of other cool options). But listen to jsw...there's a reason those folders are hidden. Most people have no need to go digging in there and you can really screw things up by mucking around in there.

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
Thank you very much for that WildCowboy, it's exactly what I've been looking for. I'll be careful too, I've never granted my user account admin privelages out of paranoia that I might delete something important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.