Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Blimey!

Only 2 weeks and I've already messed up OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger).
I've installed XCode that comes with this OS and Terminal launched successfully. A few days later I tried to install iPhone SDK for Leopard (hey I tried) and it failed; giving me some kind of error that the my system didn't support it and that some components (library?) would install.

This is my very first Mac and I need your help, please.
OS X 10.4.11 on TiBook PPC 667Mhz G4.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lend a hand?

Anybody?

I tried launching Terminal in Finder - I get the zoom effect but nothing loads.
I tried from SpotLight - same symptom & results.
I tried launching from the Dock - Terminal bounces 1 time, same results nothing loads. Its not showing as running.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
It's only been 2 hours since you posted, chill. People don't live here.

Try deleting the Terminal preference file, ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist

You can also check Console just after trying to open Terminal and see if it has any error messages that may allow you to diagnose the problem further.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
In addition to the above, check the logs. I am sure you will be able to gather something from there. Chances are it is indeed the plist.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sorry about that ... got anxious and impatient. My apologies.

It's only been 2 hours since you posted, chill. People don't live here.

Try deleting the Terminal preference file, ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist

You can also check Console just after trying to open Terminal and see if it has any error messages that may allow you to diagnose the problem further.

I tried your second suggestion, and launched Console - didn't even know what that was for. Then launched Terminal which again failed.

Console shows:
Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
2009-11-01 19:55:48 -0500
Nov 1 19:55:49 Tron /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGGStackRestore: gstack underflow.
Waiting for MirrorAgent to launch and respond to CFMessagePortCreateRemote(). [177]
dyld: Symbol not found: _NSLocaleCountryCode
Referenced from: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

Nov 1 19:56:45 Tron crashdump[208]: Terminal crashed
Nov 1 19:56:45 Tron crashdump[208]: crash report written to: /Users/Jagga/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Terminal.crash.log

Logs for Terminal shows:
Host Name: Tron
Date/Time: 2009-11-01 19:56:45.518 -0500
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
Report Version: 4

Command: Terminal
Path: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal
Parent: WindowServer [57]

Version: 2.0.1 (240)

PID: 207
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _NSLocaleCountryCode
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

Is this a plist situation? I'm not even aware of what a plist is.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In addition to the above, check the logs. I am sure you will be able to gather something from there. Chances are it is indeed the plist.

I tried deleting (Option+Delete Key) the terminal plist file and kept it in Trash, tried to launch Terminal again ... same sympton, same result as before.

Console reports:
Host Name: Tron
Date/Time: 2009-11-01 21:10:33.423 -0500
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
Report Version: 4

Command: Terminal
Path: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal
Parent: WindowServer [57]

Version: 2.0.1 (240)

PID: 235
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _NSLocaleCountryCode

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've Booted up form the DVD and launched Disk Utility. Checked for permissions, a few errors but repaired successfully - nothing related to terminal listed in the permission errors. Checked the disk (HDD) and seems to be ok listed.

I was able to launch terminal from the DVD without issue - no commands entered. Rebooted. Still, Terminal crashes.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Put your installer disk in while running, and go into the installer disk's Applications folder, then Utilities and just drag that Terminal to your hard drive Applications folder.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Put your installer disk in while running, and go into the installer disk's Applications folder, then Utilities and just drag that Terminal to your hard drive Applications folder.

Weeee! Thanks dude. That did the trick! Finder prompted me to replace stating "are you sure you wish to replace with an older version" I selected yup and ejected OS X DVD. Tested worked.

I'm still very curious what the plist file is all about. Gotta to read more. OS X is really deep ~ much more than what I thought.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
What happened there is that you somehow got a version of Terminal intended for a different OS version, so it was looking for pieces of the system frameworks that either don't yet exist in 10.4, or don't exist anymore in 10.4.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What happened there is that you somehow got a version of Terminal intended for a different OS version, so it was looking for pieces of the system frameworks that either don't yet exist in 10.4, or don't exist anymore in 10.4.

Thanks for the reply. I got a lot to read on OS X, and it'll take time to learn.

Thank you everyone for lending the time and hand to help out. MUCH MUCH Appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.