Terminal window blank

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by makismagoo99, Jan 23, 2011.

1. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Small Terminal problem: As of yesterday, when I open Terminal, all i get is a blank window....no command prompt. The window simply says "Terminal -- login - 80x24" at the top, that's it (see the screenshot below).

After googling around, I tried deleting the Terminal plist file and reparing permissions - both to no avail. Can any of you smart folks help me?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

If you look at Terminal's preferences, under the Startup section, my options show "On startup, open: New window with settings: Basic" and also "Shells open with: Default login shell (/usr/bin/login)".

Are yours also set that way?

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

The OP stated that he deleted the Terminal .plist file. If he did, then he would have gotten the settings you ask about.

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Yes, you are right. I missed that when I read his post.

5. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Y'know, this is always, ALWAYS my first step when I am helping someone else fix their computer. And yet, I didn't do it myself. :eek: I tried rebooting and sure enough, there's the command prompt. The question is, was it JUST the reboot that fixed it, or was it some of the other things I tried in combination with the reboot. The world will never know.

LPZ was correct that it did reset those settings, although I thought of that and checked them before deleting the plist file.