Terminal wonkiness

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lamina, May 19, 2007.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

When I fire up Terminal, I get this message:

Code:
    Last login: Sat May 19 02:09:22 on console
    /Volumes/PortableOSX.localized/PortableOSX.app/Contents/Resources/Engine/posx.sh; exit
    Welcome to Darwin!
    michael-risis-powerbook59:~ Mike$ /Volumes/PortableOSX.localized/PortableOSX.app/Contents/Resources/Engine/posx.sh; exit
    -bash: /Volumes/PortableOSX.localized/PortableOSX.app/Contents/Resources/Engine/posx.sh: No such file or directory
    logout
    defaul[Process completed]
    I attempted installing PortableOSX on a flash drive I have, it didn't work, but I'm not sure why this is affecting my terminal... Any ideas?

2. Winterfell macrumors regular

The first thing I would do would be to check your Terminal profile settings to see if anything in there has changed.

If you have a .profile or .bashrc file in your /Users/<username>/ directory, take a look at those. If I had to guess, I would say that is where the problem lies.

3. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Thanks for your suggestion. How do I get to these files? They don't show up in Spotlight or Finder, since they're hidden files.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well, since your using the Terminal you could use your favourite Unix editor to edit the files. Or start open a Terminal window and type

Code:
    open .profile

for example.

5. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Since I can't access Terminal on my account, I made another and edited my .profile file. I didn't see anything about my error there (nothing about /Volumes/PortableOSX, etc). I'm glad that terminal works on another account, but I'd really like to have it working on my account. Maybe a reboot will help...

6. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

... and it didn't. I am so frustrated about this.

This happened when I tried to install PortableOSX on my flash drive, just for fun. When I re-mount the PortableOSX image, it executes the script to install on my flash drive. How can I stop this from happening? I have set the Terminal app not to run a script when it's starting, but this problem still persists.

7. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Alright here's an update for everyone.

I deleted the .plist file in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.terminal.plist. It worked, and now my Terminal is back to the way it was.

I updated this post for archival purposes.