Terminal "You have mail."

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reaganjh, Apr 8, 2009.

1. reaganjh macrumors newbie

I know this topic has came up before, but I need specific help with deleting this because it always pops back up within a few days of deleting!

Does anyone know a way to stop this from popping back up? It seems to be caused by some crappy program I installed way back called CloverDiary. But I removed this app way back, too!

Message 1:
    From reaganhunt@reagan-hunts-macbook.local Mon Mar 23 22:00:01 2009
    X-Original-To: reaganhunt
    Delivered-To: reaganhunt@reagan-hunts-macbook.local
    From: reaganhunt@reagan-hunts-macbook.local (Cron Daemon)
    To: reaganhunt@reagan-hunts-macbook.local
    Subject: Cron <reaganhunt@reagan-hunts-macbook> /usr/bin/open -a /Applications/CloverDiary/CloverDiary.app/Contents/Resources/DiaryChecker.app
    X-Cron-Env: <SHELL=/bin/sh>
    X-Cron-Env: <PATH=/usr/bin:/bin>
    X-Cron-Env: <LOGNAME=reaganhunt>
    X-Cron-Env: <USER=reaganhunt>
    X-Cron-Env: <HOME=/Users/reaganhunt>
    Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:00:00 +1000 (EST)

FSPathMakeRef(/Applications/CloverDiary/CloverDiary.app/Contents/Resources/DiaryChecker.app) failed with error -43.

Please help! ? XD

2. reaganjh thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I really don't understand any of this. Could you explain it better?

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Read the crontab man page.

"man crontab" will print the page to the termian so you can read it.

4. reaganjh thread starter macrumors newbie

I still don't really get it. I don't understand anything about "cron" or anything like that. But I typed in what you said? IDK if I did it right?...

? "man crontab"
    No applicable messages from {man crontab}

:confused:

I know you can read each message by typing the number of the message you want to read. And then you can delete it by typing "d 1" - so that would delete message no. 1.

But so then after I delete them all I still end up with a heap of messages eventually. I forgot to mention I had like 20 messages. When I first ever checked them a few weeks back I had over 100!

I just want to get them to stop showing up. And I don't know much about all this terminal stuff, so it would be very helpful if you could be very specific. >_< thanks

5. reaganjh thread starter macrumors newbie

6. MarsianMan macrumors member

Well, if you use MacPorts you can install mutt which will let you read/delete the mail. The best way is to find out what is causing the system to get the email. It seems like some setting with CloverDiary should be changed. Or alternative you could try "crontab -e" as your user and "sudo crontab -e" to see if one of the entries would cause this effect.

crontab is a scheduling system for system / routine tasks. It usually sends output to the root user. You might want to google about CloverDiary and see what could be causing it.

7. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

I had the same. You deleted CloverDiary. What actually happens is that there is a program that runs every once in a while to execute scheduled tasks. This program is Cron and uses the Crontab as input. In the Crontab file there is a reference to the CloverDiary part that checks whether you've written an entry in the diary that day or not.

You deleted the program, so now Cron fails. To alert you to this failure it sends you an email which you see as soon as you enter the Terminal.

The first answer to your question is the correct one, run from the Terminal the command crontab -r and the email will cease.

Macsmurf is a man of few words...

8. reaganjh thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I think it worked! I just opened Terminal and typed that in... It seemed a lot complicated before >_< haha. So if I don't get this new mail again within the next few days I will know it worked. Thank you so much for helping me!