Terminal

Spario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
hello everyone,

the reason i have posted this thread is because i would like to learn how to take full advantage of my comp and begin using Terminal. Only one problem, though, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO! could someone please help me or point me in the right direction- so i can learn! thanks ~Spario

bemylover

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
hi,
I can't pop up any new windows from my terminal. for example, when i type emacs whatever.txt it will open it right there in the terminal window and if i do emacs whatever.txt & it won't open it at all.

could anyone tell me what i should do in here? i would really want to have that text file (or any other file) opened in a separate window, so that i could go on typing other commands in the terminal.

many thanks in advance :)

Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
bemylover said:
hi,
I can't pop up any new windows from my terminal. for example, when i type emacs whatever.txt it will open it right there in the terminal window and if i do emacs whatever.txt & it won't open it at all.

could anyone tell me what i should do in here? i would really want to have that text file (or any other file) opened in a separate window, so that i could go on typing other commands in the terminal.

many thanks in advance :)
Beucase Terminal.app is not built to do that.

You should be using X11 if you want new windows to open.

If you're new to command line, you should be starting here:

http://osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCenter/index.ws

Comment

arf

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
UK
Xemacs

bemylover said:
well, that's the case, i am using x11, but it still does not work.
Thats because you need XEmacs, I suggest you install darwinports, that'll get you all the open source goodies you want to use (including xemacs). Much better than the fink. :)

Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
arf said:
Thats because you need XEmacs, I suggest you install darwinports, that'll get you all the open source goodies you want to use (including xemacs). Much better than the fink. :)
Exactly..

The built-in emacs doesn't have X11 support.

Just type this in your xterm to make sure it's working as it normally should:

xterm &

And a new xterm should open.

Comment

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Is there any way to find out the temperature status of the sensors on my PowreBook from the Terminal?

Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
thomasp said:
Is there any way to find out the temperature status of the sensors on my PowreBook from the Terminal?

I don't know of one.. there's nothing in the sysctl man about it.. but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.