Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hndn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
I want to change to Google as the default search engine in Safari. In terminal, when I input "vi," this is what I get...
None of the 3 comments on the terminal screen make sense, although I did tried all 3.
I need help please.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 97

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Isn't Google the standard search engine (in the upper right search field) in Safari for quite a while?

Or do you mean it the other way around? Changing to Altavista instead of Google (example)?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
vi is a UNIX text editor ... what command are you trying to run in Terminal?

What version of Safari? Google is already default in 4.0.2.

hndn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
spinnerlys, swiftaw: Yes, google is default on the upper right, & I want it to be default on the search bar too.
r.j.s. I have safari 3. I haven't updated to the lastest mac osx when it was first released since there were many crashes. Indeed, I've been forgotten about it :) Is this reliable to update now?
Thanks.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
What did you expect when you type vi? You haven't told it what file to open. Try:
vi filename
The comments make perfect sense and tell you how to get help, quit the program, etc. They are standard vi commands. Maybe you should try a different editor that is more user friendly. Vi is quite powerful, if you don't understand it, then it is hard to use.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
Out of my own curiosity and the fact that it may help the OP out -- Does anyone know exactly how to change the default search engine Safari Uses?

I didn't see any options in it, so I assume it does use Terminal, though someone said the "Vi" command is a text editor so I guess that's not it. .

hndn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
What did you expect when you type vi? You haven't told it what file to open. Try:
vi filename
The comments make perfect sense and tell you how to get help, quit the program, etc. They are standard vi commands. Maybe you should try a different editor that is more user friendly. Vi is quite powerful, if you don't understand it, then it is hard to use.
This is what I'm trying to do (got it from macosxhints)

1. Launch Terminal, and use the vi editor to open the Safari executable file. The command will probably look like this for most users:

% vi /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

2. Search for the text google. The first occurrence will be a string that looks like this:

http://%@.google.com/%@?q=%@&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Well, I don't really understand it & since it's powerful, I guess I shouldn't messed up with it :confused:

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Out of my own curiosity and the fact that it may help the OP out -- Does anyone know exactly how to change the default search engine Safari Uses?

I didn't see any options in it, so I assume it does use Terminal, though someone said the "Vi" command is a text editor so I guess that's not it. .

Glims makes it very easy to change the default search engine in Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.