Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zblaxberg

Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
So I have had a cingular family plan for at least a good 6 years now and it's becoming horrendous how bad the service is. We get network failures and dropped calls no matter where we go, the phones have been replaced, the sim cards have been replaced....We are just ready to terminate and switch over to verizon. So now the question becomes how do we get around this stupid $175 termination fee. We shouldn't have to pay it because our service has been horrible. Does anyone know of smart and legal ways out of this?

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
This worked for one of my friends.

1. Find a nearby location that shows no coverage on their coverage map.
2. Go in to the store and say that you're moving there. Ask if you'll have coverage.
3. They'll say no, ask what your options are.
4. Cancel.

You can probably google to find other options.

zblaxberg

Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
so here is what we came up with. we are gonna go to verizon and try and convince them to give us discounts and what not because we want to switch, maybe even try to get a month or so for free and then we will go back to cingular and see if there is any way they would get rid of the termination fee and if not we will pay it but we will still have free stuff from verizon for switching :)

Xanis

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
You're pretty much out of luck. Having crappy service unfortunately doesn't provide you with an excuse to get out of the contract. You're stuck with AT&T until the end of your contract.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
My wife and I were both on Cingular before we got married. We could be standing side by side and her Sony would have 5 bars and my Motorola L6 would be on roam. The long and the short of it, Cingular dropped me for being on roam too much. (No service charge, but it was a pain to get my phone unlocked.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.