Termination Fee 3G (non US resident)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sifredi, Sep 5, 2008.

1. sifredi macrumors newbie

folks,

- I'll be in NY this october and I'd like to get a 3G iphone with AT+T, then - as soon as possible (the next day) cancel my contract, pay the first month and the 175usd as early termination fee but can I sign an AT+T contract without being a US resident?

- Will they unlock my iphone after I paid the termination fee?

Unlocked iphone are available in Europe but startin with 850.- - which is obviously too much that thing.

anyway... thx!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Search!!!

They will not sell an iPhone to a non-resident. If you cancel your contract within the first 30 days, you must return the iPhone. At&t will not unlock the iPhone, and there is currently no software solution.

You would be much better off buying an iPhone from Italy or Hong Kong, since the iPhones there are sold unlocked.

TEG

3. sifredi thread starter macrumors newbie

OK... thx man.

I already saw that comin... I guess I have to contact my man in Hongkong. But somehow weird, cause they don't sell them on ebay.hk. I heard its more being a rumor that unlocked phones are sold there.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Well there are myriad reports of people in Singapore buying phones in HK and them working with any SIM in Singapore.

TEG

5. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

But they come unlocked in Malaysia aswell? so why would you buy on in Hong Kong?

6. sifredi thread starter macrumors newbie

and they are prepaid available? I doubt that!
    I'll be in Bangkok very soon and be looking forward to the iphone-situation there.

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I know in Canada, you can buy the iPhone and then cancel it for a $400 fee on the spot. Many do that here and just put it up on eBay/Craigslist. In fact, quite a few try arguing to getting the cancellation fee dropped in price and it works.

8. onesixeight macrumors member

I just got back from Bangkok and the iphone 3g's are selling like crazy! At MBK, the 3g's are selling between 30,000 and 55,000 baht. But people are buying them. Most are using turbo sim to unlock.

9. sifredi thread starter macrumors newbie

ok... so they cancell the contract but will they unlock the iphones after the cancellation?

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

$650 or so is what it ends up being if you can do it.

11. sifredi thread starter macrumors newbie

12. sifredi thread starter macrumors newbie