Terminology for "web stores apps"? and what do you need to know to create such an app?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by patent10021, Jul 3, 2015.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Apps that are made for Amazon shopping, Apple Store shopping, and thousands of other online shops are called what? Web store apps? What's the correct terminology?

If you're developing an iOS and Android app for such a project what would you need to be familiar with? Also what might be used to tie in the app with the e-commerice web site back-end? i.e. what frameworks and other communication like JSON etc.

Basically I want to create a web shop on a large scale and its app.

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

If you want to let people buy things via an iOS app, it has to go through Apple's APIs and they'll take 30% of whatever you charge.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Yes but that is unavoidable.

API is understood. But what is involved with the back-end for the app and web site?

4. CraigJ macrumors member

Are you suggesting that Amazon and NewEgg for example give Apple 30% of all orders placed via their apps?

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Pay careful attention: do you buy things in the app, or does it move you to a website in a browser to have you buy it? IDK, I don't use those apps myself, or buy things from any apps, really. I do know that Apple has strict rules that all payments within apps must be processed via their API and that their API charges 30% for using it.

6. CraigJ macrumors member

In app purchases, yes. His specific example was Amazon.

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

... I just checked and you're right. Within the Amazon app, I can buy a paperback book just fine, but the moment I say I want a Kindle book instead it tells me I can't buy Kindle books via the app.

So I can process payments for physical items anyway other than via Apple's API, but if I want users to order digital items it must go through Apple's API. This is retarded.

8. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

OK so there are huge stores in China selling cheap/affordable products in the billions annually. They've captured a market that can afford cheap phones or one phone but can't afford to have both a phone and desktop computer. They are mostly using Huawei and Xiaomi phones since they are dirt cheap but also some are using iPhones and not buying desktops. So basically this group of consumers only has one device.

Do these other brands like Huawei and Xiaomi take a cut of in app purchases as well?

Anyway so what you're saying is that companies like Amazon have iOS apps but you can only purchase digital products via Amazon.com? Physical products you can buy via iOS app? That doesn't make sense. Why would they be willing to pay 30% to Apple for physical items but not digital?

When you say you have to pay via Amazon.com does the app do it through its own browser or do you have to go to a desktop browser to Amazon.com?