Terribble issue with MacBook and Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bethie7, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Bethie7 macrumors newbie

I'll be as short as possible with trying to included all the facts. We have been very good customers of Apple products. My daughter saved her money to buy a MacBook for college. The warranty is up in August. ( we were planning
    on renewing it) but about 10 days ago, she took it into he store to have the switch or the CD ejector (sorry, im not good with computers or correct names) replaced. We went home, it won't turn on, so back we go to the store. The hard drive was shot. We thought it was a strange coincidence but we were told, " it happens" Ok I don't know much about computers. (We had it back to the store 4 times in 10 days.)
    2 days later, it won't turn on again. We thought it was another bad hard drive. They tell us it's water damage, in fact, it's full of water. It has been on her desk since it was brought it home, she has bought as much protective things as possible. She never takes it in the bathroom, etc. How can this happen? We did nothing to it. She can't afford another one for school right now.They won't fix it? I think this is awfully suspicious that this happened, the one thing they won't repair happens mysteriously right before the warranty was up and they had would have to repair other things?how could it be full of water, wouln't we be able to see anything? What can we do? Besides buying a new one (which we can't do at this time) I honestly think they did something to it. She hadn't even asked for a new one, just wants hers repaired.Is there anything we can do? Thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If there is water damage, the warranty/AppleCare coverage is voided. While you may find some sympathetic rep at another Apple store, I wouldn't count on it.

3. Bethie7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It just angers me when I'm positive something isn't the truth and there's nothing I can do about it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple isn't going to lie about that. There are moisture sensors in the Mac notebooks that clearly indicates exposure to moisture.

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I've never heard of an Apple store intentionally lying to escape repairs.

What's suspicious to me, is that it wasn't full of water the first time you took it in.

Would it be possible for you to take it to another Apple store?

I don't know about the sensors in the MacBooks, but the ones in the iPhones can be wrong.
    There was a tech blog (I don't remember which one) that found that if you changed the temperature of your phone drastically (such as coming in from a snow storm and standing by a fire) could cause condensation to develop inside the phone. Apparently it was enough to cause the moisture sensor to go off, even though the phone itself never touched water or snow.

Personally, I'd try another store and explain that the first store tried several things (none of which worked) and then decided that it had been wet and you were done for. Firmly, but politely insist that it has NOT been in contact with water.

If that's not possible, you could ask for a manager at the original store and explain everything.

Another option is to call Apple's support number. Explain the situation (4 failed fixes in 10 days) and see what they say.

It's ok to get angry or frustrated. But don't be rude or mean. That won't help you at all.

6. iViking macrumors 6502

I hear what you are saying, but your suggestion that "they did something to it," sounds as ridiculous as them saying it has water damage when you assure them it does not.

Stay on the right side of things, the high ground if you will, and don't lash out at them, and simply be calm and honest and I'm sure they will take care of you. That seems the best way in this situation.

Apple is a good company and will stand behind their products. Even if you get someone who isn't hearing you, (maybe they were turned off if you were defensive toward them?), eventually if you persist you will find someone who does, because they are in the business of delighting people, not short changing them.

7. laptoplover2 macrumors member

I would say that's extremely weird. First the CD drive, the hard drive, all the way up to it blowing up due to water damage? I think you should see if you have any other potential options to do this here. You should talk to AppleCare and I'd recommend you let them know about all these hoorah's that you've been put through here.

Meanwhile though, if you need a reliable computer to use for college, I'd recommend checking eBay. I bet you could find some good PowerBook G4's for around $100 or less that work, you could get some hefty work done on those. I actually bought one for $40 that was broken, fixed it up in a few days, and am planning on reselling it for some quick bucks for $150 with Microsoft Office and iLife installed.

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I agree.

It's not like the guy at the store gets paid extra, or is allowed to pocket parts money, for sticking it to people like you.

He's a corporate drone like the rest of them, whose paycheck is not affected in any way by any of these decisions.

9. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

The Apple Store themselves aren't going to lie about it but some punk employee on his final warning would.

Probably some new guy who has made a couple of mistakes recently accidentally spills his mocha latte on your Macbook. Realising he's going to get fired for this he quickly screws your Macbook back together and sends you on your way.

He's fleecing you. No doubt about it. What's worse is they know you didn't do it yourselves but their own procedure precludes them from doing anything about it.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Are you absolutely certain it couldn't be water damage? Extreme humidity can cause damage, or unfortunately, trip the moisture sensors. Sometimes you will get a sympathetic Genius (it happened to me once when I had legitimate water damage).

In any case, even if it is damaged, Apple should offer to fix it for a fee. It varies based on the type of computer. For a MacBook Air like mine, a major repair is $755. On an older Mac, it might be less.

If it is just the hard drive, note that you can order a new drive from a third party such as NewEgg. Unfortunately, if the old drive is bad, you might have a hard time recovering data from it, but it's worth a shot. I'd suggest buying a 2.5" hard drive, and a USB enclosure. You can probably buy both for less than $100 combined.

Try to find an authorized Apple repair center (as opposed to an Apple store), and see if they can diagnose and either repair your Mac, or install a replacement drive.