Terrible Accuracy with Google Maps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alexwithad, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

Is this common? I'll turn on Google Maps and pinpoint my location and it'll be a mile or so off. Then I turn on WiFi and boom it's right on the point. But with the 3g it's way off. Is this normal?

2. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Don't think that's normal with 3G. My old 2G depending on where I was at a mile would be nice. With 3GS on 3G network it has been spot on for me.

3. Alexwithad thread starter macrumors 6502

It's an iPhone 3GS and I have full strength signal for 3G

4. arykmax macrumors regular

Not common but I read a thread similar to this earlier today.

5. cgi101 macrumors member

6. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Mine is way off too. They are not very accurate. The HTS devices are more accurate.

7. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

You should reset your network settings.

My GPS is *very* accurate, and pinpoints me down to ~4-5 feet of where I am. I can move about a room and the marker moves around the room as I do.

8. itsmequinn macrumors regular

I have a 3g and have had this problem since I upgraded to 3.0. This issue is a lot more common than you would think and my theory ( and that of others I have found online with this problem) is that we need to wait for a software update from apple. It can't be hardware if so many of us are having the problem and if it started with the 3.0 update on a 3g. Also, does your gps manage to lock on or not? My 3g location is not accurate, and my wifi is more accurate, but the actual gps in the unit never locks on and the blue dot never starts flashing and emitting waves.