Terrible Audio Quality iMac 27" in Windows 7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hastings101, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

When using Windows 7 via Boot Camp on my 2010 27" iMac the audio quality is just terrible. It's too loud and it seems to be very high pitched. I'm using the drivers that Apple provides. Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution?

2. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

What are you playing?
    .wav, .mp3, external source?

Do the same files sound normal/OK on Apple OS?

3. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I have a slightly newer 27" iMac with Win 7 under Bootcamp and my audio sounds fine. No difference I can tell between Win or Mac OS. Maybe you have a corrupt driver?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Same "problem" here. There's nothing really wrong, but in Windows, the audio quality sounds a little lower/muddled - there was no distortion or anything. In OS X, much more clearer, almost like it was higher quality for the same file.

5. Hastings101, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

Hastings101 thread starter macrumors 68020

Hastings101

There isn't a specific type of file that sounds bad, everything sounds bad - Mp3's, Flash video, system sounds. In OS X the same things sound great.

Not sure where I could get another driver - I've tried the one from my install DVD and the one that is downloaded from Apple's servers and both sound the same.

6. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I get the same problem too. There's a noticeable loss of lower mids- bass, making the sound seem colder than what should be.

The problem is only for the built-in speakers though. Plugging headphones in still gives me great sound.

Installing drivers did nothing for me.

7. tokyo77 macrumors member

I also have mid-2010 iMac 27" and the built-in speakers sound tinny in Windows compared to Mac OS X. I have always used headphones however so it's not much of a problem for me.

8. rossip macrumors regular

I've got the same problem with my iMac7,1. It's definite something with the driver. My iMac uses the realtek audio codec and I've found marginal improvements by updating to their latest driver.

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/do...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

You might be able to get things even better by playing around with their sound equalizer.

9. Hastings101 thread starter macrumors 68020

Hastings101

So, it's now four months later. Is there a solution yet? :p

10. rossip macrumors regular

I'm guessing the realtek driver didn't help much

11. Hastings101 thread starter macrumors 68020

Hastings101

No, sorry. I appreciate your help though. I think my iMac uses a different driver (Cirrus Audio Cs4206a or something like that)

12. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Try redownloading the latest bootcamp drivers and installing them again.

13. bigheadtz macrumors newbie

True! I have tried many different versions of realtek drivers. There is really no difference. Even without any realtek drivers, the system still has sound (same crappy sound quality)

So I guess Cirrus Audio driver is the one you should update.

BTW, I got my iMac last year, but through some research, I found this problem exists since last major redesign --- unibody, which is 2009. It is so sad that apple never fixed it:mad:, but you know, it is bootcamp. I don't think they care about windows much:(

14. rossip macrumors regular

Yes, not to miss lead, updating the realtek drive helped a bit, but my sound quality is still no where near as good as it is in os x.

15. Hastings101 thread starter macrumors 68020

Hastings101