Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canon Rock

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
When the 1G and 2G Ipod Touch came out (like when it was released and people right away baught it) did anyone/people had bad batches? Like the screens were messed up,cracked,hinges,bumps,low battery,slow running time, etc? I'm waiting to get the 3RD G if it comes out and if not then go ahead with 2G but like if there were any bad batches when the first 2 came out, how long should I wait after the 3RD G comes out? (Estimate, so Apple factoires can clam down a bit and build it properly)

Thanks for the help guys :D

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
When the 1G and 2G Ipod Touch came out (like when it was released and people right away baught it) did anyone/people had bad batches? Like the screens were messed up,cracked,hinges,bumps,low battery,slow running time, etc? I'm waiting to get the 3RD G if it comes out and if not then go ahead with 2G but like if there were any bad batches when the first 2 came out, how long should I wait after the 3RD G comes out? (Estimate, so Apple factoires can clam down a bit and build it properly)

Thanks for the help guys :D

Hinges? On the iPod touch? Gah?

The 1st gen had a 'negative black' issue on some of the first few batches. What happened was that if you were watching a video or viewing a screen with a lot of black, you had to view the screen from the right angle to see the colours properly. If you viewed the iPod from many angles (basically any angle that wasn't straight-on with the iPod) the blacks would be all messed up and the video would look awful.

On the second gen, there weren't really many initial problems that I can remember. However, lately (as in the last 3 or so weeks) many people have been reporting screen problems on brand new iPods, where they get horizontal lines moving up and down the screen (much like scan lines on a tv).

Canon Rock

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Hinges? On the iPod touch? Gah?

The 1st gen had a 'negative black' issue on some of the first few batches. What happened was that if you were watching a video or viewing a screen with a lot of black, you had to view the screen from the right angle to see the colours properly. If you viewed the iPod from many angles (basically any angle that wasn't straight-on with the iPod) the blacks would be all messed up and the video would look awful.

On the second gen, there weren't really many initial problems that I can remember. However, lately (as in the last 3 or so weeks) many people have been reporting screen problems on brand new iPods, where they get horizontal lines moving up and down the screen (much like scan lines on a tv).

Thx for the info but the lately 2G ipod touchs has been having the problems?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Thx for the info but the lately 2G ipod touchs has been having the problems?

Yes, I thought I was clear about that in saying "the last few weeks" :p Hopefully it's just a batch of faulty screens and not something that's gone terrible wrong during the manufacturing process. There's a topic about it somewhere here where a few people complained that the dock (the part at the bottom of the screen where the icons sit on a silver background) looked as if it was always 'refreshing' (there were lines that repeatedly went through it) that a restore could not correct. There's also many topics about it at the official Apple forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.