Terrible battery life 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook pro i5, Nov 3, 2011.

1. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

on my 2011 macbookpro with 10.7.2 I get 4 hrs compared to what 8 hrs under snow leopard any settings to change that would help?:confused:

2. shaun319 macrumors member

Make sure you mac has the latest software updates. Also, turn off bluetooth, lower or turn off the backlit keyboard and reduce the screen brightness.

3. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

All of this is done but I am sure of loin not being optimized enough:mad::(

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Lion just came out like 3 and 1/2 months ago.
    They are still doing an update. (Its only 10.7.2 compared to 10.6.8)
    We will have more updates that helps battery life on MBPs.

We just have to wait a little bit...

5. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

The solution is to simply go back to using SL. Lion's subpar battery management is just a drop in a bucket of problems.

Sure Lion came out in July but in the tech world 3 months is a long time considering the sheer severity of some of its problems. The iPhone 4S just came out, with battery issues and Apple's quick to resolve it. Now think about how Apple feels about you OS X/Mac users, the proof is in the pudding, they don't value Mac users nearly as much as their phone users.

6. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Well said they(apple) seems to be forgetting that mac users do exist:mad:

7. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Agreed, Lion is far from perfect. However, an 8 to 4 hour drop is quite significant. What are CPU loads like? Mine dropped from 7-8 to 6-7h.

8. WarpSpawn macrumors member

Are people generally finding battery life is much poorer in Lion? What reviews I have seen of the refreshed models seem to indicate somewhat better than reported here. And OK, it is different hardware, but others on this forum have reported as much as 10 hours of light usage from the Airs, presumably at least some of which are running Lion.

Battery life is not so critical to me in the short term but I would not like to be short changed on it all the same.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

For reasons typically Apple, they've been slow to address this issue. It seems like they are overwhelmed with Batterygate on the iPhone 4S (of which I'm on my third) and simply may not have enough staff to focus on sorting out Lion.

However I noticed yesterday that the mainstream press has finally picked up on Batterygate which will help put pressure on Apple to act.

I have purposely held back on "upgrading" to Lion simply because I know Apple all too well and have my Macs all running great on Snow Leopard 10.6.5.

I stopped there since 10.6.6 brings in the dreaded iToy Store Apps. A feature set I have no time for. My 2010 MBP is relied upon for my work and I'm not about to sacrifice it's highly optimized state for fart apps :)

That said, I knew the best way to try Lion with the best chances of success was to buy a new machine. So I bought a 13" MBA. Its a great computer dampened only by the somewhat toylike Lion. Oh well it's what Apple wanted. To dumb down the OS, make it look like an iPhone or iPad & they've succeeded. Grandpa will love it and that's all Apple cares about.

11. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

true now they are forgetting about pro users it seems:mad:

12. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I'm assuming you've reset the SMC right?

13. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Dont think that last statement is true at all, The PC Bussiness is what Apple Started with and They wouldnt just loose their value for their customer in they part of apple. Mac OS X is alot harder to Fix than a Mobile Operating system, Plus With the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch making apple *Most* of its money they are going to be alitte bit more urgent on that, along with problems on a phone, that would require even more urgent fixing as say, you couldve trusted your phone before to keep enough battery in case of emergency, then you update and you cant trust it anymore, it is something apple would be more urgent to fix. They DO care about Mac Users, we are on 10.7.2 and its only been 3 months. Remember all the problems with Snow Leopard? Give it time.

14. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

The above paragraph should be titled "The Apple Apologists Creed". :D

15. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

Many of the mobile users are also Mac (OS X) users/owners as well. It doesn't matter if there are more revenue from the mobile market than from their computer market, they all deserve equal attention and support for their needs.

It doesn't matter if it's 10.7.2, the version number is irrelevant, neither .1 or .2 brought any significant solutions to Lion's list of ailing problems... what matters most is the content in which each revision change provides. Unlike Microsoft where if they don't have a permanent solution, more often than not, they'll likely have an official KB article identifying your issue with a workaround posted. They don't always condemn the user to wait for the next big major service pack update to address their problem(s).

Apple on the other hand has no such support, you can't research anything regarding your issue on their official support section in hopes of finding a viable workaround or solution to your problem, you're left hanging hoping the Gods will someday rain down magical sunshine on your Mac, when that'll be, nobody knows. You spent at least a thousand dollars or more for your MBP, and Apple condemns the bulk of your support needs through user to user on open forums? Don't you think that as a MBP owner/user, you deserve better support? Think about that.