Terrible Battery Life and Apple won't do nothing

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TechDudeGeorge, Jun 26, 2011.

1. TechDudeGeorge, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

Have had an iPod Touch 4th generation since 2010, but the battery life is very short.

Even doing the usual things like turning brightness down, have little effect.

Any advice?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

4. TechDudeGeorge thread starter Guest

I have tried that, I have turned everything off ... So my iPod is nearly barely functional and it still drains quick as hell. I have restored multiple times and set up as a new device on all different firmwares.

Also I tried that, I sent them a letter explaining that when I sent it in on time 2 but they ignored it again.

5. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Have you drained the battery to redzone/shutoff and then recharged?

When you restore, have you used it without reloading your apps/music? Just incase an app is causing the battery drain?

If you are in the UK, can you visit an Apple Store http://www.apple.com/uk/retail , or ring them for help?

6. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Bottom line, if your battery life under normal use (wifi off, listening to music) is around 4 hrs, demand a replacment if its under a year old,

If your only getting 4hrs battery life but your playing infinity blade and watching HD movies, then i think you may not have a case.

I found that apple has a terrible issue with battery life in all its products, they seem to be fantastic for a month or so, then suddenly fall off a cliff.

Example, Iphone 2G : bought on day of UK release, still being used by my mother, holds a charge for two days, and is still usuable as a phone (around 20% battery left after 30 hrs) light use checking emails, making calls etc.

My Iphone 3GS, when new, 12hrs light use, 10hrs when playing games/video, after 7 months, 6hrs with light use, dead in 4 if used to listen to music, and about 2hrs life if used to play games.

even my Macbook pro battery died after only 36 cycles, 5-6Hrs battery life for the first 5 months, then month 6 it fell of a cliff, rapidly losing 30 mins charge per cycle until the battery reported it was dead.

Which is why my new phone is a Samsung Galaxy SII, 24hrs battery life with moderate use, and i can replace the battery myself in about 3 seconds.

bottom line, take it back, take the recipt, and quote the sales of goods act 1979 (as amended), an item should be expected to be fit for the purpose for which it is purchased, yours is obviosly not.

7. wovel macrumors 68000

You must live in a building with some strange magnetic fields around it....

8. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

They must be strange to only effect apple products, my PS3 controlers ive had since launch still hold 90% of origonal charge, my house phones batteries still hold theirs, and the apple keyboard and mouse i use with standard AA durecells are all fine.

Maybe apple built in batteries only work if you belive in the cult in the mac strongly enough or something :D

9. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I have had just the opposite of you.

MacBook 4 years old
    MBP 1 year old
    iPhone 3GS 2 years old

They are all still great.

Maybe if you didn't talk so much **** about them they'd still work for ya.
    They have feelings too! :)

10. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

Take it back and say you want your money back or you will go to trading standards as the battery life is not as advertised or even close. Here in the uk you have up to 6 YEARS to get your money back if the product has never worked as stated. Also if you first went to them within 6 months of purchase then they have to give you a refund. It seems the are fobbing you off and you are letting them get away with it!

Also I recently went to the apple store for a faulty home button on my iPhone 4 20ish days before the end of the its first year and they replaced it no worries (I bought it from O2 originally)

11. soco macrumors 68030

soco

If Apple won't do nothing, then what's the problem? Is what they have done ineffective?

Really, if your problems have been checked and double-checked, demand a refund. Try a Zune.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So basically you stole iOS 5 beta and screwed it up.

If it's a real issue Apple would have replaced it.

13. Sjhonny, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

Sjhonny macrumors 6502

I think you've somehow deep charged your iPod :/ - nothing you can do about it. And I understand Apple's point of view, since this really is nearly impossible to happen when using 'normal' iOS versions. Or did you charge your devices using a AC/DC charger (not usb on pc), then there might have been something rong with the charger. But then again, iOS would normalyy detect such issues.

14. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

He said nothing of the kind. He tried restoring it with normal versions, didn't change te problem, then went on to unstable versions, which didn't help either.

15. TechDudeGeorge thread starter Guest

iOS 5 would not screw it up. I simply tried it so see if it'd help but no.

Also, why should Apple provide me with a device that does not meet the battery life they claim it to have when advertising it?

16. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Wait "Apple won't do nothing"

So they did something

I kid I Kid

17. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Just bust into the apple store like you know what's up and make a scene. I guarantee you'll get results. It may seem childish to do, but that's rubbish. If you're getting that kind of battery life off a fairly new device, I would DEMAND a refund.

18. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

To bad Zunes aren't for sale any more...:rolleyes:

19. TechDudeGeorge thread starter Guest

I would go to the Apple store but it's 60 miles out and not worth it if they won't do nothing. Also not worth it with just that in mind due to petrol and what not costs.

I have currently emailed a senior at apple and a head at comet and am awaiting replys. Anyone know any more emails I can try to get a reply and help from (I did email jobs for the lulz).

20. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

Is there an authorised reseller nearer than an Apple Store? They should swap the iPod out for you. If not, phoning Apple Support and speaking with them explaining the situation clearly should yield results for you. Say you want a replacement mailing out so you can check it then send your current one back if you are satisfied (they will put a hold on your card until they get yours back).

21. TechDudeGeorge thread starter Guest

What do you put a hold on my card? Credit card, if so that's not really an option as It's needed. I just want them to ship a replacement after I give them my device.

22. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Jailbreak and download something called Batteryinfo Lite from cydia. That will tell you just how bad the battery is. How many mah's the battery can hold, the design capacity, etc...

23. TechDudeGeorge thread starter Guest

Tried that but not really reliable in my opinion. Anyway who else can I contact?

Me and a friend will be contacting Apple via telephone this week too in order to get something done about this. Nearly £300 went to this device and to get support like this and have a near unusable device is pretty bad.

24. Carouser macrumors 65816

Take a video doing either of these (twitter for 30 seconds or 5 minutes at the app store going from 80% to 40%) and post it.

25. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Reading the warranty info below, Since it has been 6+ months since purchase, you need to prove the short battery life was a fault at time of purchase. The letters you sent might suffice. If you contact Comet's warranty plan, they should help you. You should mention dates of letters, phone calls, store visits requesting service... And that battery is still bad after service.

As others have said, show them. Take it to the Comet store fully charged. Do one of the actions that causes the battery level to drop in front of a manager.

You may or may not still qualify for a full refund if you return it under Apple's warranty. Check the warranty.

Apple warranty:
    http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/ipodisight.pdf

UK Consumer Protection:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governm...merrightswhenbuyinggoodsandservices/DG_194650

Comet's ExtraCare warranty:
    http://www.comet.co.uk/static/services/service-plans/extracare-faq