Terrible Battery life on 2014 rMBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MatthewStorm, Sep 6, 2014.

1. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Bought the new rMBP last week. I've never gotten more than 3 hours from the battery. Sometimes less. Just using Word, Chrome, and email for the most part. Display dialed down. WTF? Is my battery defective?

2. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

I would say so. Book a appointment with apple and have it swapped out or return your computer and get a new one. I would go for just a new battery though so you don't have to deal with resetting up a computer.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Keep in mind Chrome will force the discrete graphics.

4. Mike P macrumors newbie

Chrome uses far more power than Safari on a Mac. When I bought my new rMPB 13", I was amazed at how hot it was running and how poor the battery life was. Switching to Safari, I now get 9 hours of battery life from it.

5. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

Chrome should never be used on a rMBP because:

- it's slow as hell and lags when scrolling
    - consumes a ton of CPU unnecessarily
    - degrades battery life
    - gives your info to Google

And this is coming from a long time Chrome user, so it's not blind hate at all.

Using Safari or Firefox is the way to go. FF lags a bit when scrolling, but compared to Chrome it's way, way better in that department.

6. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

I still can't understand why people just not using safari instead of chrome, mozzila and other ****... it's like your company offers you rolls royce for free as company benefit, but you refuse it and still using that old van, because you "somehow" like it more

7. Lachhh macrumors regular

@ thread starter: That most certainly isn't normal at all. Right now my MBP (15" 2014 baseline) is estimating I'll get 11:30 hours - I'm just browsing the web a little.

I know many people who use Chrome due to the fact it plays nicer if you're heavily invested in the Google ecosystem. That being said, I use Safari myself, best browser on the Mac IMO and I'm more heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem than I am in Google's, so I may be biased.

This. Safari's performance is going to outshine that of third-party browsers for sheer optimisation and what concerns choppy scrolling, Chrome takes the cake. (It's awful.) I don't get how so many people can put up with the horrid performance. That being said, it's not great on PC either.

As for Safari, all the macs on display at the store had some degree of choppy scrolling in Safari depending on the website, especially when browsing Facebook and other image heavy content. Still leaps and bounds ahead of the performance of the other browsers I've tried though.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

9. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

chrome is better for Web dev... and the ability to load open windows on other devices (iOS, windows) is a nice feature. I know safari has a develop menu and inspect element feature but it's not the best. You have to hightlight sections in order to inspect where as chrome you right click or click and select inspect and you can edit the style right then and there... safari locks the style sheet and so far can't figure out how to unlock it for in place editing.

Although Safari is my default browser I style use Chrome equally but mindful on the memory issues it has.

10. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Haha this is exactly my thought :)

Although I can see why people are using Chrome, such as users coming from Windows!

By the way, if I've installed Chrome on my Mac as a second (backup) browser and I don't have it open, will it affect ANYTHING at all? Things like background tasks. Thanks :)

11. Gpro macrumors member

Gpro

If it ain't open then no it won't affect anything.

12. TLewis macrumors 65816

By default, chrome eats battery, lots of battery.

You can make chrome use less of your battery by disabling chrome's use of hardware graphics.