Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUWarrior10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Chicago
My iPhone 6 has terrible call connections when I am connected to a wifi network. I can hear the person on the other side just fine, but no one can hear me. Anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
If this is at home, did you upgrade your router? works best with the new ac wifi band and certain settings. Tmo was offering a free router that has these features, as they love it when users go onto wifi and off their cell towers...
I got the free router but haven't set up. I've had echoing calls (on their end) using wifi call with my current non-ac band router.... my end sounded fine also..

Last edited:

MUWarrior10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Chicago
If this is at home, did you upgrade your router? works best with the new ac wifi band and certain settings. Tmo was offering a free router that has these features, as they love it when users go onto wifi and off their cell towers...
I got the free router but haven't set up. I've had echoing calls (on their end) using wifi call with my current non-ac band router.... my end sounded fine also..

Yeah...I'm using the basic ****** cable company router combo at office and home. I'll probably buy a new router for home if thats the likely cause. Thank you for your advice.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I'm no expert, you might call Tmo, they are 'experts'.. and ask about their free router if you are in the US.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
The wifi calling with Apple is probably a bit too soon out of "beta." Problems can be the compression driver demand on the up/download data rate limits. I don't think Apple has programed in a check prior to calls, not to mention, they probably don't know what they actually need. I've seen this with magicjack in the past with their original driver being horrible on slow internet.

dishfan82

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2014
I have the T - mobile router and it's been great so far . I can be outside my house and it still stays connected to my call. I can't go all the way down my street but it has good range.

dishfan82

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2014
The T-mobile router makes phone and data usage #1 with use of their router so calls are more clear and connect better. I can be by my mailbox and still be connected to wifi calling. I can't do that with my cable router. You can use it as a router and buy a modem or plug it into your existing router and just connect to the cell spot network.

MUWarrior10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Chicago
It turns out that it may not just be on the wifi but on all my incoming calls. I'm thinking this is probably just a carrier software issue on AT&T, maybe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.