Terrible ethernet / internet connection perormance on my macbook pro- brand new

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iansilv, Nov 5, 2007.

1. iansilv macrumors 65816

Hi-
    I just bought my first mac (yay!) and I can say I will never go back. I might keep a pc for hard core gaming, bu I think leopard might nip that in the bud too!

Anyway, I bought a brand new mac book pro - the $1999 model. I have been using it at home to copy m files over form my pc and i have noticed that its connection over Ethernet is terrible- I keep getting intermittent dropping of my internet connection, and pages will not come up sometimes. Download speeds are bad, and overall things are not quite right. I am at my office on the wireless connection and it is great.

I ran that connection tool that apple has to use high latency connections, and that did nothing.

My pcs all connect fine, and the laptop I had plugged in to the cable worked fine as well. i tried a new cable, nothing.

Aythoughts would be appreciated- thank you

2. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

I've had weird issues with my 10.4.10 MBP also. It chugs
    along fine, but then I have intermittent dropping of
    internet (even though wireless connection is still there).
    Usually resolves iteself if I restart my browser.
    Haven't really checked this on the wired ethernet side.

My router is dlink gigabit pre-n. I probably need to check
    the settings in there...

3. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

Put me in the same category. Same machine upgraded to Leopard, with drops that effect me during the day. While under Tiger, there were no such problems. Could this be a issue of Leopard?? Does anyone have a solution???

4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

before i sold mine it was doing the same, went back to a macbook Issue gone :)

5. Clarence macrumors regular

Arrgh mine is doing the same. I just spent over half an hour on hold with AppleCare before hanging up. ********. iPod touch is speeding right along on my wireless network. I tried resetting safari no help. Firefix doesent work when it acts up either. Only solution is complete resTart. What gives apple?

6. vanc macrumors 6502

Some people reported they solved the issue after setting the Ethernet connection to "Manual Negotiation". The problem is related to the auto speed talking between Mac and your router/switch.

Go to System Preferences=>Network. Choose Ethernet on the left side and click the "Advanced" button on the bottom right. Then switch to "Ethernet" tab, change "Automatically" to "Manual".

You can try different speed settings based on your switch/router.

7. 007bond4321 macrumors member

Worked!

This fix worked for me! My MBP worked fine at school, but as soon as I came home, I kept having internet troubles. Sometimes one website would work while another just refused. Rebooting solved it. But now it is set to manual 100 mbps and it works great!
    BTW: up on my Western Digital WD3200BEVT 320gb drive and loving it!

8. ivan101 macrumors newbie

Vanc

Hi Vanc,

Thankx for the reply. But maybe stupid question. The people complainted about their wireless network not connecting and all. But youre solution is in the ethernet (not wireless). I changed it though, but could you explain?

Kind regards,

Ivan

9. Clarence macrumors regular

did not help me. looks like i have to call them anyway, my optical drive does not recognize cdr's. glad i got the plan.

10. ivan101 macrumors newbie

hi

hmmm maybe i have that cd problem as well on my blackbox :)
    should not be necessary that repairpack, as we are going into the years of future with apple the hardware is going downwards with service. pity. i have more problems with the hardware on the macs i have then i had with my windows in the past.

ivan

and that wireless problem thousands of us have is totally ignored by apple.

11. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I had that issue with my little 12 inch G4 lappy, it was struggling on the ethernet and worse on the airport

Just chucked some more ram into it and works sweet, Also i moved all my ethernet cables well away from Power plugs to prevent loss of data