Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I finally just got my copy of the lastest Final Cut Pro and the performance is terrible. There is alot of lag in anything I do...like it hiccups. This is on a 2.33ghz intel core 2 duo 24' imac.with 3 gigs of ram.....I thought this thing would run great!....is there something I am missing? The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256 mb. We have a similar computer at work with an old Adobe Premier and it runs WAY better than this......totally smooth..

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
Something is certainl amiss. It should run great. Exactly what are you trying to achieve? Normally performance problems with FCP stems from different format between the time-line and media - or worse trying to use non-QT-friendly video-files (=AVI)...

mikeyPotg

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2006
What steps did you take when you installed it?
Did you have a fresh format of your computer?
Did you repair disk permissions at all?

If you think the installation may have been an issue, feel free to check out an "Installing FCS" thread I posted several months ago when I wanted to make sure I was doing it all right!
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/438259/

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
oh actually I was just messing around with avi's......theyre no good? maybe thats what it was..

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
oh actually I was just messing around with avi's......theyre no good? maybe thats what it was..

Yeah.. that's the problem. Any external video in any other codec should be converted to DV, HDV, AIC, or Apple ProRes codecs before using them in Final Cut.

Honestly, if you didn't know that, you might want to take your FCP back to the store and buy Final Cut Express to learn on first. I'm not trying to be rude, but there's a huge learning curve with any version of Final Cut, and firing it up with an AVI to edit, just puts "I didn't read any documentation" on your forehead :)

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
ya I haven't had time to dig into the manual yet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.