terrible i7 gaming performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wilycoder, May 1, 2010.

1. wilycoder macrumors 6502

Today I purchased a 15" MBP with an i7 processor.

I just tried to play the doom3 demo that is found on apple's website.

When i get into the actual game, it is running at like 1 or 2fps. WAY worse than my old macbook which had an Intel X3100...

I have automatic graphics switching disabled.

Why is this happening?

Also, the doom3 demo asked me to install rosetta, even though apple.com says it is a universal binary...

2. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

Might because you have automated graphic switching DISABLED

so your trying to run the game on intel HD graphics.

3. wilycoder thread starter macrumors 6502

when automatic switching is disabled, the system uses the nvidia 330m...

besides, even the intel HD would give better performance than what I am seeing...

4. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

ah i see :)

Maybe turn on automatic switching anyways and check it out. troubleshoot it

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Such low fps might mean you've maxed out the gpu's bandwidth. How much AA are you using?

6. youssefm macrumors 6502

I suggest you install rosetta as well... I've ran into a similar issue multiple times

7. wilycoder thread starter macrumors 6502

no AA being used.

Its strange because i know the GPU works great when I fire up the itunes visualizer...

8. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Could be the rosetta thing. Also might be heating issues. I heard i7 mbps get really hot.

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

How could Rosetta not being installed be an issue?

10. wilycoder thread starter macrumors 6502

I just installed the lego star wars demo and it ran great.

Its something specific to doom3 :confused:

11. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

If you need Rosetta, it means it's running a PowerPC binary, which means you're emulating code.

Honestly, 1-2 fps seems strange, so perhaps there's something wrong with the graphics drivers when running that PPC demo.

12. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

There are so many things wrong in this thread I don't know where to begin...

1. You have to install Rosetta or any PPC game or application won't run. If you are running a PPC game demo its a good bet Rosetta is all ready installed.

2. Why in the world are you running such an old game in the first place? BioShock would be a great game to test since its native and doesn't have to be emulated. I believe they a demo available now (though I didn't check). There are other Intel native games to try as well...

3. I've ran a few PPC games that required Rosetta and while they didn't bottom out on FPS its just a crazy mess. Doom 3 wasn't that great to begin with so if there isn't a native build for Intel its not a huge loss. Again, you will feel better when you see native Intel games on your new purchase.

4. Make sure you are plugged in to a power source while playing. I have noticed when I'm playing Left4Dead 2 on the Windows side that if I'm not plugged in the FPS suck. Power saving will get you...

-P